Ok, New and not sure where to post - Speedometer issue (jumping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Thanks. I have to get the bottom cleaned up a bit, a LOT of mud under there. I think I may have found something, but it's pretty small. I have to get the mud off of it all :) It's probably 1/2" thick under there. We went through a mud slide on the way home. I'll get it washed up late tonight or early tomorrow and see what I can see. I think I'll be replacing that sensor (if it is indeed the differential sensor) and the transmission sensor (costs like 12.00 so worth a change none the less with shifting issue I figure).

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good thinkin. I was thinkin the same thing. Did ya get anything good while you were out there? Any trophys?

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Nothing out there yet. I've seen two nice ones during bow season, but this being the youth hunt weekend, we've go two nieces and nephews that can't sit still for more than the time it takes to boot a phone :)

Just getting up and making some fresh pork bacon though :) Will be hittin' it again this afternoon.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sweet. I remember those days when I was the youth. Thougt it was super boring. Lol well let us know what ya find. Take some pics and maybe we can help ya find what ur lookin for.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Guess what I found? :)

It took one under body flush at the automatic car wash and a good washing at home with the power washer. But, the rear differential speed sensor has been spotted!

I'll get her in the garage this afternoon and try ripping it apart. I'll try to find a shop that has one in stock and see what happens with that being replaced. I'll let you know.

Should I be disconnecting battery before disconnecting this sensor. Something tells me to do so to be safe, but I want to make sure.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You don't have to but you know that is always the safe bet. I didn't but that's just me. The only time that I disconnect the battery is to clear codes and when I'm workin on the engine. So you may want to disconnect it to try and clear the codes. If you can find a shop that has both the trans sensor and the abs sensor in stock you should have both basis covered.

Keep in mind that if the codes aren't cleared right away when you reconnect the battery you may have to do a few key turns before it goes away. Just a heads up so you don't freak out lol. Good luck man. Let us know how you come out.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Actually, I've get no Check Engine light until I get over 50mph. As soon as it's parked and restarted (after a bit of a wait), the light doesn't come back on until I get over 50 again.

Well, good news and bad news. Bad first.

The sensor seems to be broken in half (with half still in the differential). I was careful and didn't wiggle the sensor hardly at all. I did have to use a small (computer) screwdriver and a hammer to get the metal lifted away a bit so I could pry around the device. I thought I did a pretty good job of keep everything equal and lifting but I guess not. Now what? Is there a common way to pull those things out? Should they come out easily? I may try to get it out with a needle nose pliers after dinner. Might a drop of super glue and/or JB Weld on the sensor stuck to the one left in the differential work maybe? Do I have to tap it and try to get something screwed into it and pull it out somehow? Any ideas are welcome.

I've got the parts on order. The back sensor should be in tomorrow morning and the transmission one in on Wednesday.

Any ideas are greatly welcomed :)

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well glad you got them ordered. Usually after you take the bolts out it will pull right out not problem. Maybe it was broke before and that is what gave you the issue to begin with. The only thing I can suggest is to take that little computer screwdriver and try to pry it out a little bit. maybe screw into it a little bit. I dunno.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Yeah, tried the needle nose and two different small screw drivers (flat heads) with no luck.

When I get hold if it with needle nose, I can try to lift, but it is TIGHT and it ends up slipping out. I can see it rise a bit, but not a whole lot. I'm thinking since the metal (alum?) part is sticking up a bit I might be able to get some (very, very small dab) super glue to hold it for a bit. I'm thinking it only has to raise it a little bit until I can get a side grip on it with pliers. I'll keep trying. Getting dark and I'm getting frustrated so it's a good time to call it a night.

Oh, and now that it's not attached, I can drive it but the ABS and BRAKE lights come on. That didn't happen before. Won't it be a *hoot* when this isn't the problem!?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol I have been driving without abs for over a year. It just is like having manual brakes.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Yeah, but I'd like to get the speedo back :) ABS is for amateurs.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol now ur thinkin. Most likeley though the trans is the one that is messin with your speedo.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Finally. I got the ABS speed sensor out of the rear differential! It took using a chip puller for the personal computers. Got the rubber o-ring out and picked it right out by the area the ring sat in. Piece of cake with the right tool!

That sensor took away the brake and ABS lights that appeared on the dash when I broke it trying to get it out (it wasn't lit when the speedo went on the fritz). It did nothing with the speedo, so I went ahead and changed the transmission speed sensor (about $30) in about 10 minutes. Had to attach a new wiring harness for the new sensor because old end didn't fit. But w/o that, it'd have been a 3 to 4 minute replacement.

The transmission speed sensor brought the speedo and trip and odometer back to working order :) Wooohoo!

Now to figure out how to replace a headlight unit (previous owner hit a cement pole it appears and pushed the front bumper up and into the driver's side light breaking the side light and severely tilting the headlight). But it is running and working well again.

Thanks for the tips and help everyone, I appreciate it!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
No problem. Glad ya got it all sorted out. Guess prior to 98 they used 2 sensors to control the ABS and the Speedo. As far as changing the headlights that is pretty easy too.

First thing is to make sure that you roll that bumper back down to get it out of the way. Then you can remove the whole assembly with just a couple bolts. If it is only the marker lamp you can pick that up pretty cheap. You can also hit up ebay and get a descent set of aftermarket lights for not too much money. Up to you either way. But I changed my lights out with some after markets this past spring and it was about an hours job that's including aiming.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
I like the idea of switching out the entire assembly (both sides) with new brighter lights :) Think Close Encounters =:}

I've looked in the repair guide and it said I should be able to get at bolts from inside the engine compartment, but I haven't found any yet. Though, I only looked at it with a flashlight at 10pm when I got her home on the first night.

Looking on eBay for light assemblies, is there anything I should concern myself with for the product ((dimensions, bolt holes, specs etc)? I've seen some listed for ULTRA CHEAP while others are a bit more what I expected (about 125.00 each). I'm not sure I have to go smoked lights or anything like that, but I want to make sure I buy something that I will be able to use.

I expect this to be in the woods 'cutting trails' when it becomes necessary so nothing too fancy is needed.

Thanks. I'll start a new thread when I find something so others aren't thrown off in the future reading this stuff.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not a problem. I'll keep an eye out. If you are looking for cheap you could just go OEM. But sometimes the one piece units are the same price. But if you're gonna be cuttin trails I would suggest cheap and easy to replace. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Looking at brush guards too. Full metal jackets, not the 'roo catchers' so the lenses should be protected a bit - especially from things pushing the bumper up and into them. :)

But one expense at a time is my motto :) Thinking of replacing the little 'girly' yellow marker lights on the roof with some Moon lights/bar too. But I'm not sure I want to fill all those holes. We'll see.