P1756 Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antp1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tranny has been having issues shifting for a while. Finally a P1756 code came up. Apparently it means "governor pressure not equal to target". I've been doing some research and it sounds like i need to change the Governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor.
1. Is this what you guys would recommend too?
2. If yes, how the hell do i do it? I would LOVE to see some sort of write up or video, or at least some detailed instructions on how to do it.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know those as well.
thanks

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a pretty easy job. Drop transmission oil pan, the solenoid and sensor are both easy access on the valve body. May as well do a band adjustment while you're in there. For that you will need an inch/pound torque wrench. One of the band adjusters is inside the pan, the other is on the outside of the transmission housing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well I had P1764 code for the governor and when heading out to work moving from the 35-55mph sections it wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th, also didn't like to go from 1st -2nd all the time, shifts great now

OEM governor is kinda restrictive I think, noticed alot of gunk in there, replaced with OEM tho (don't ask lol) and changed fluid while in there, did change both pieces too to be sure

Edit: Reliability of shifts got alot better, shifts firmer

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well I had P1764 code for the governor and when heading out to work moving from the 35-55mph sections it wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th, also didn't like to go from 1st -2nd all the time, shifts great now

OEM governor is kinda restrictive I think, noticed alot of gunk in there, replaced with OEM tho (don't ask lol) and changed fluid while in there, did change both pieces too to be sure

Edit: Reliability of shifts got alot better, shifts firmer

Cool, good to know!