Pinion bearing sizes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well here I am 2 weeks later and still can't get the slop out of the pinion. Getting ready to pull it out AGAIN so I'll take some pics to post up.

My question... are pinion bearings the same size on a thick cut 4.56 as on the stock 4.10's? I was under the impression I had 4.10 when I ordered the install kit to replace the bad bearings and when I got the cover off to do the job I thought the ring gear looked big. On further inspection I found 4.56 stamped on it.

My torque wrench only goes to 250, and the yoke still had some in and out slop. I got another 1/4 turn on the nut with a 4' breaker bar but no change in slop.

I didn't have a mic. at the time I put it together but the old outer pinon race and the new one looked the same when stacked on top of each other so I went ahead with it.

Only thing I can figure is maybe I got the wrong crush sleeve or....??? When I ordered the kit Summit's website said it came with crush sleeve but it wasn't in the box when it got here. After arguing with customer support (their tech said my application didn't require one) I finally got them to send me one. I didn't even think to compare it to the old one.

Is there anything else I need to look at? I'm out of ideas after this and really don't want to tow it to the only local shop and wait two weeks for them to even look at it because they are so backed up.

Would REALLY appreciate any suggestions

Sent from my DROID RAZR

OP
OP
rebel89820

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sorry, forgot truck info... its a 2001 1500 4x4 quad cab short bed with off road pkg, auto trans and 5.9

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Pinion bearings are the same no diff for thick cut gears or 4.56. The crush sleeve can be a real pita to start collapsing it, once it starts it gets easier. Other opt is to pull it apart and compare the sleeves and try fitting the old one.

OP
OP
rebel89820

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
OK getting ready to head outside now... thanks for the reply, you have been a great deal of help for me ever since I starting lurking on this site a few years ago!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, you probably haven't started to crush the sleeve yet. It takes a lot of force to get it to crush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk