Radiator troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
As some of you know I recently got into a little fender bender and have to replace my radiator. The problem is my truck has an external trans cooler in front of the radiator and I can't seem to find anybody that sells one like that.
20150101_163502.jpg
None of the tranny lines go into the radiator.
20150101_163450.jpg
Everybody sells them with the bottom quick connect and top compression fittings installed tho. I had already bought one before figuring this out. My first thought was I would just cap the connections but nobody in this town sells anything that fits. FML. But, do I really need to cap those if the tranny lines aren't going to be connected to it or can I just leave em be? Coolant shouldn't come out of it right?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Coolant will NOT come out of those trans. fittings. You should be fine, just remember that you will likely have to replace your current transmission cooler due to damage.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You can leave them be, or find some rubber caps to plug/put on. If you don't plug/cap them dirt will get in and it would have to be flushed before use.

Pay for the shipping and I will send you my A/C rad thats sitting here doing nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
just remember that you will likely have to replace your current transmission cooler due to damage.
Trans cooler wasn't actually damaged like I first thought. Radiator already had a slight leak that was barely noticeable and the crash let it shift just enough to open that current leak up a little bit more.

You can leave them be, or find some rubber caps to plug/put on. If you don't plug/cap them dirt will get in and it would have to be flushed before use.
The internal trans cooler isn't going to be used at all so I shouldn't need to worry about flushing it. I'm going to install it later on when I go back to work I'll talk to a guy in the Hydro Shop that Dad told me about. I guess he has what I'll need.

Pay for the shipping and I will send you my A/C rad thats sitting here doing nothing.
I wish I'd posted this before paying $150 for a new one from Oreillys....lol

weeseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As some of you know I recently got into a little fender bender and have to replace my radiator. The problem is my truck has an external trans cooler in front of the radiator and I can't seem to find anybody that sells one like that.

View attachment 42333

None of the tranny lines go into the radiator.

View attachment 42334

Everybody sells them with the bottom quick connect and top compression fittings installed tho. I had already bought one before figuring this out. My first thought was I would just cap the connections but nobody in this town sells anything that fits. FML. But, do I really need to cap those if the tranny lines aren't going to be connected to it or can I just leave em be? Coolant shouldn't come out of it right?

Am-autoparts.com
Most of there parts come with a 10 year replacement warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk