Random Misfires and great loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinquantum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Throwing several misfire codes at once

okay so i have a 1997 ram with the 5.2L and it's a manual transmission. The other day i accidentally downshifted into second instead of 4th and my RPMs redlined for a moment then i started getting misfires. I didn't throw a code for about a week I'll explain that shortly. my truck still idles fine but when i'm accelerating at about 2,000 rpms it likes to make a popping/misfiring sound sometimes and loses power. sometimes i can push through it by shifting into a higher gear but i sometimes just back off the throttle until it calms down with the jerking (from loss of power) so i don't damage anything more than it already is. After a week the check engine light came on and i got the codes read. Misfire cylinder #1, #3, #4, #5, #7, and #8, as well as a random misfire code. Apparently just #2 and #6 are the only two that didn't throw a code and are presumably fine. I have since replaced the distributor cap and rotor, all new wires, and all new plugs (OEM plugs for my truck). Thought that did the trick because all of those parts i replaced looked pretty worn. Truck ran fine i went and got the check engine light cleared off. Then not even 5 minutes after resetting my check engine light it came back on during my ride home and started misfiring more. It's really hit or miss i could start her up now and she'll run fine for 20 minutes or i could just get the misfiring version, or even i can run her normally and get a misfire at 2200 rpm, back off throttle, and reaccelerate past 2200 rpm with no issues engine seemingly good as new. Does anyone know why i could be getting so many misfires (all cylinders throwing codes except #2 and #6) or any ideas as to what my solution might be?

I will get the codes re-checked in a couple hours and give an update.

justinquantum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
so i found this thread http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm and it sounds like exactly my problem. I have misfires on all cylinders except for 2 and 6 which according to this thread is due to the routing of my ignition and coil wires. I may just give it a shot but if anyone has any thoughts on this feel free to let me know. thanks

root0091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9l 360 TBI
Multiple misfire, check ignition. The TSB could very well apply to you. If that does not cure it, I would do diagnostic checks on your Cam and Crank sensors.

15.jpg

16.jpg