Random Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I finally get my truck back after letting my friend borrow it while we worked on his car. I drove it last night and today because I missed driving it. I started hearing random noises. I'm assuming it's just me being paranoid. But just to be sure. I want to know what you guys think. I have a feeling that a brake change is in order. I am hearing some what of a grind and squeak up front. Changes with speed. Not speed of the motor but traveling speed. It's really hard to hear on a video that I tried to take. Or I would let you all listen. The groan almost sounds like a warped rotor. But gonna pull the tires off this weekend and take a look. when i hit the brakes depending on the pressure I put on the pedal will determine how quiet the squeak is. But you guys agree? I also have a clunk sound that sound kinda like a bent axle that randomly shows up. I'll let you all know what I find this weekend. Note to self never let friends borrow your truck. Stuff breaks when you get it back.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup I never let anyone drive mine. A warped rotor usually makes a shake when you stop. I dunno how that dude could bend an axle unless he was goofin in it but if he did you should hook up to that cavalier and rip his rear bumper off lol

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I don't know but the hookup sounds good. I doubt the axle is bent and it doesn't wobble when I stop so I wonder what it could be then.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so is the noise there when the brakes are not on?

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
its like an on and off scrape type noise I wish it was louder so my phone would pick it up. It makes noise without the brakes on. When I push on the brakes it gets quieter. I think one of my calipers may be getting stuck.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welp Figured out what the noise was. Nothing too major. Trucks still driveable. And I stopped the noise. Come to find out it sounded like it was in the front. Pulled the wheels off the brakes have at least 50% Pad left so I put the truck up on stands got in started it put it in drive and let it idle. Had the misses apply the brakes so I could listen. Was the drivers side rear. Fine pulled the wheel off. Started to take the drum off. Won't move. Thinking normal rusted on. No big. Hit it with a BFH Starts to come off feels like it's held on by a spring. I pull it springs back. Wtf?? Beat on it and pry and beat some more. Finally got the thing off. Well Wheel cylinder needs replaced it was stuck in the fully extended position. Ok moved it around got it free again. Looked at the adjuster it was all the way out. So I reset the adjuster and put it all back together. Everything is good. This weekend I will replace the wheel cylinder. Don't need a brake job. The rear brakes still had plenty of pad left. I thought for sure the pads would be bigger on the rear. But guess cause there is so much surface area you don't need a ton of pad. And to add salt to the noise. 4 of the 5 Lugnuts were finger tight. How in the hell does that happen??

Sorry for the long read. Rant over.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Good thing you checked it before the lugs came completly off. Good find your back back to 100% soon.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you figured it out, and looks like you have lug nut gremlins. Id be checking the other three JIC

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Already checked them. Fronts were super tight. Back right was semi tight got another 8th turn out of it.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Tony if you need lugs i have a brand new set for a 1500 never used pm me

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks dave.

So I just finished replacing the wheel cylinders. That was a royal pain. But got it all done and painted the drums too. All new parts along with new drums.

On a side note. I was taking the front tires off to bleed the front brakes and found that one of my lugs aparently cross threaded the stud. Murphy's law has been out to get me today. But got the job done anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota