Ready to junk it!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dondale13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fancied up 318 (5.2lt)
I've been getting a P0138, figured it was because of a Bosch sensor, so I did the research and got an OEM original equipment Delphi ES20046, still got the P0138. The engine seems to have a misfire kinda like a tiny vacuum leak, which I can't find one. 47psi fuel pressure, newer plat plugs. And I often get a P1740, but I can feel the tranny shifting. I'm seriously pressed for time, it needs e checked this month and I go in for surgery this Thurs 9/8 morning. Oh, and this is a VAN that makes it really fun to work on!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've been getting a P0138, figured it was because of a Bosch sensor, so I did the research and got an OEM original equipment Delphi ES20046, still got the P0138. The engine seems to have a misfire kinda like a tiny vacuum leak, which I can't find one. 47psi fuel pressure, newer plat plugs. And I often get a P1740, but I can feel the tranny shifting. I'm seriously pressed for time, it needs e checked this month and I go in for surgery this Thurs 9/8 morning. Oh, and this is a VAN that makes it really fun to work on!

The second code may be related to a service bulletin for the 00-01 models. TSB21-11-00. Something about replacing the pressure boost valve cover in the tranny. I'm not sure on that repair as the cutoff date is 08/01/00. After that, the problem was fixed. My guess would be that could cause it, or the TC solenoid may be going bad.

The first code can be caused by one of three things. Too much fuel, in which case the sensor is operating properly, but this is rare on a stock build. Or either the sensor is bad, or the signal wire is shorted to battery positive. A lot of people on here have problems with O2 sensors. Generally these vehicles like the NGK (NTK? it always confuses me). My truck hates the bosch and delphi sensors on the upstream (Yay for no emissions state, I just say butt **** it to the downstream o2s) I could imagine the same is true for the downstream.

Since I hate throwing parts, you can test to see if the signal wire is shorted to battery positive by taking a multimeter and measuring the sensor wire on the vehicle connector of the offending sensor.

Do you have california emissions?

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The Platinum plugs run way too hot for the older Hemi's, I believe it's the same with the newer ones.. Could be one reason.. If you can, stick with the copper plugs and stay in the manufacture suggested heat range.

OP
OP
D

dondale13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fancied up 318 (5.2lt)
Dudeman2009, that bulletin may be on to it, I have found 'build stickers' that have '4/2000'. Highly possible! I just had the tranny rebuilt, planetary gears went, the fluid looks like it was put in yesterday!
I'll crawl back under it with my meter after this sun drops a bit! I'm outside in a driveway and the sun is having its way with me!
I have Fed Emissions, Thank God!

OP
OP
D

dondale13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fancied up 318 (5.2lt)
The Platinum plugs run way too hot for the older Hemi's, I believe it's the same with the newer ones.. Could be one reason.. If you can, stick with the copper plugs and stay in the manufacture suggested heat range.

You've gotta be on to something! I just pulled the wires off the dist one at a time and the #6 cyl was firing about one out of ten times. I goin to the parts store, new wires n original equipment plugs!