Rear drver side wheel leaking brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckFukd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ok so i am new to these forums and i have virtually zero mechanical experience but ive got an issue id like to try and take on myself. i have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 and as i was slowing braking the other day i felt the brake peddle lose pressure and kind of sink to the floor. my brake light and ABS lights came on and i did not have much braking power. when i checked the brake fluid level there was none in there so i filled it up only for it to drain out again. when i got home i noticed brake fluid pooled around my rear driverside tire tho i cant see the direct source of the leak. i found one site that said it may be the wheel cylinder but i thought i would try out the forums and see if you guys may be able to offer any advice

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the tire and brake drum off there and actually have a look at it. It is likely a leaking wheel cylinder.

OP
OP
T

TruckFukd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
ok im about to take off the wheel and take a closer look but before i do is there a write up on changing the drum brake shoes and cylinder? also what kind of tools will i need to take on this job if it is the wheel cylinder? Thnx

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be done with basic hand tools and some good pliers but having brake spring tools make it much easier. And you will need an assistant to help bleed the brakes.

OP
OP
T

TruckFukd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
awesome i got a buddy comin over to help me so ill post how it goes when were done!