Relay Buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dingo31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey Guys, Im having a problem with my Fog lights, when i turn on the headlights its fine but when i pull the switch out to put on the fogs i hear the relay under my hood start to buzz and the lights never go on. This only happens when the fog lights are engaged. what could this be ? I replaced the relay and it still buzzed so i know the relay is fine I just dont know where to look next. I checked all the fuses i know of and they are good. Please help me.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The light switch is known to go bad. Its a common problem. For some ****** reason, the fog indicator went out on mine less than 2 weeks after I replaced it. They are cheaply made, thankfully they aren't that expensive.

You don't have aftermarket headlights do you?

OP
OP
Dingo31

Dingo31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I dont have aftermarket headlights, Not yet anyways. Is there a way I can test it to make sure it's the switch before I buy one and don't need it ?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There is no simple way to test it. It just depends on what is wrong. Just to make sure, the fog lights don't turn on right?

The easy test is to turn on the lights including the fogs, pull the foglamp relay and jump pins 30 and 87 in the PDC. If your lights are bright, you'll have to test the coil side.

This is more difficult, you need a jumper wire and a multimeter that can handle at least half an amp. Turn on the lights like before and jump pin 86 from the PDC to pin 86 on the relay. Next take your multimeter and put one probe in pin 85 on the PDC and the other on pin 85 on the Relay. If it buzzes record the current draw. Next, remove the multimeter probe from the PDC and place it on battery negative. If the problem stops, its likely an issue with your headlamp switch.

If it continues, remove the relay and jumper then take a test lamp and probe from battery negative to pin 86 on the PDC. The test lamp should light brightly, if not, and the high beams work fine, you might be looking at a multifunction switch issue.

OP
OP
Dingo31

Dingo31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks brother, I will try this tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes and what I find.:happy107:

OP
OP
Dingo31

Dingo31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Fixed

So i got kinda lazy with the relay for a while but today at work a buddy of mine was snooping around under the hood and found a fuse that was added aftermarket kinda tucked away. The fuse was a 15amp and it was blown, So we grabbed one a lo and behold it turn the fog lights on. Figured i'd come in and share that its fixed so not to let this float around open with no conclusion. Thanks Guys!