Removing rear drums and adjusting E Brake - 1997 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Went to get her inspected, and the first thing that failed was the e-brake. I've got to fix that, and the cable adjuster is stuck. Ive got to get a new bracket for that anyway, how tough is that to replace?

Anyway, guess that means I have to get the drums off and adjust the brakes that way. However, I tried to work them off the other day, and boy are they stuck! Huge drums, so the YouTube techniques dont work great. Whats your method to get them off? And to adjust the brake?

If you could adjust the brake without getting the drum off, I would he so happy...

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Bump. Ive read that I can adjust it without pulling the drums. Can somebody shed some light on it? I've got 2 days before I legally can't drive it. And Monday, i'm busy.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
look on the rear of the drum.. toward the bottom there should be a rounded rectangle hole that may or may not have a plug in it.. just a rubber stopper. pull the plug and use a brake spoon to adjust them.. it should have a star gear there and one way will loosen it the other way will tighten it.. should be able to youtube or something some more vids maybe even pics for it.. I hope this helps man

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
look on the rear of the drum.. toward the bottom there should be a rounded rectangle hole that may or may not have a plug in it.. just a rubber stopper. pull the plug and use a brake spoon to adjust them.. it should have a star gear there and one way will loosen it the other way will tighten it.. should be able to youtube or something some more vids maybe even pics for it.. I hope this helps man

Perfect. Thanks.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes there is a star wheel inside the brake drums but that is not for adjusting the Parking brake cable/system.

Which system are you trying to adjust or both?

Post #6 would be correct for setting up the star wheel adjuster, that is more relative to the hydraulic braking system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Yes there is a star wheel inside the brake drums but that is not for adjusting the Parking brake cable/system.

Which system are you trying to adjust or both?

Post #6 would be correct for setting up the star wheel adjuster, that is more relative to the hydraulic braking system.

Only trying to adjust the parking brake.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They go hand and hand. If the drums are not properly adjusted, the parking brake won't work very well. You need to get the drums adjusted up and then take the slack out of the cable.