replaced almost everything, still no brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I need some help, I'm about to give up.

2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2 magnum V8.

I replaced both front brake pads, calipers, and flex lines. New master brake cylinder.

I had to adjust the rear brakes because they weren't working right.

I then bypassed the abs. I flushed all four wheels and master cylinder multipule times in correct cycle.

I still don't have good brakes. The pedal goes to the floor. I can pump them up and it will be firm, and stay firm as long as I keep pressure. But when I step off for a few moments it goes flat again.

I abs and brake lights were on but since stayed off. I don't see any brake fluid leaking from any lines so how could it be possible for air to get in? Could it be the proportioning valve?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
how did you bleed the brakes? I know its s dumb question but I have to ask.

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Not in any order, but then I looked in haynes and it said master cylinder first, then left rear, then right rear, then right front, then left front.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
made sure that the master cylinder always had fluid during the entire process? Shut the bleeder after there was no more bubbles? Also closed it before the brake pedal was released?

Just trying to help

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes on all three. The problem hasn't went away and I've been at it since yesterday.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
hmmm I'm sure others will chime in with something better. Sorry without being there I can't help more

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Even if the brake booster wasn't working the pedal shouldn't be going all the way to the floor right? It seems fine though.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, you need to vacuum test the booster...if its bad, your pedal can go to the floor.

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I did the booster test according to hynes manual and it seems air tight. Still have the same problem. I can pump the brakes up and they will be firm but after taking my foot off a few moments it will sink all the way down to the ground when I try them again.

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes I've been standing on the pedal and my buddy checked and rechecked. This whole day haven't noticed any leaks and we visually looked over all the lines.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if there isn't any leaks anywhere id say there is a booster,or even the master cylinder could be bad.

double check the rear wheel cylinders for leaks, check the adjustment of the rear shoes,make sure everything is free moving..springs and levers. also make sure that the parking brake works.... all of that could cause the pedal to go to the floor....

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
do the brakes actually engage? Fluid level is good?

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes they are engaging. took off rear drums again and found the cylinders to suck air. Replaced them. Replaced proportioning valve. I changed the master cylinder I got yesterday for a new one just to be sure.

Same problem persists. I am baffled. I can pump them up and as long as I keep pressure it doesn't go down. I let off for a few moments and I can bring the pedal to the floor.

I'm working in my garage so I would have noticed a puddle of fluid. I don't see leaking lines anywhere.

Last edited:

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the vaccum line from the booster have a leak? My older Ford had this happen it was a leaking vaccum line causing it. Hope thus helps. Good luck

Sent from my ADR6350

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
When I pump the brakes fluid is bubbling back up the master cylinder. What does that mean?

johnnyjaws98

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 ram 4x4
Engine
you have the motor running right when your bleeding to produce vacum in to the booster sounds like master cyclender is bad

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanna comfirm something real quick...before installing the master cylinder, you did bench bleed it correctly? If you didnt, it is a nightmare getting it to bleed properly.