Replacing U-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
So earlier tonight I figured out that my U-joints are worn out on my truck. I turned the rear driveshaft and could see how the joints are worn with all the freeplay. To replace these, do i just buy one U-joint for between the shaft and rearend, or two for that spot and between the shaft and tranny??

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
You need two Ujoints, 1 for the rear, 1 for near the tranny.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
While your at it, replace the U joints on the front drive shaft and axle to, save yourself the trouble of tearing it all apart again.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I agree with luke. Preventative mods are the best.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You sling a cap off one of those axle joints and have to replace the whole axle, you'll be out some money. I want to say they're around $400 a piece...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
That would probably suck and I would throw something

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had it happen to me earlier this year and couldn't figure out what happened. Ended up taking it to a shop and was there two days before they figured it out.
One of the guys at that shop ended screwing up the passenger side axle bad enough for it to not hold a joint anymore and I got a pair of billet axles from them for $285

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea the front adele are no joke. But I can say from experience that if you throw a cap its not the end of the world. Just stop and get it out before you do more damage. I blew a cap off my pass. Side and limped it home. Pulled it out and replaced it. Just be super careful.

Sent from my liberty x!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Nice tool to have for changing U-joints is a ball joint press from Harbor Frieght. I know its about $65 bucks and rather cheap looking but it works rather well for both U-joints and ball joints.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I had an incident yesterday around 6 or 7. Went out for a little drive, and on my way back (about 3 or 4 miles from home) i get this crazy vibration so i pulled over into the nearest parkin lot, checked everything over and it was all fine. I pull out of the parkin lot and continue down the main road doin about 25 mph in a 35 with the vibration continuing, i get about a mile or two from my house, and hear this loud BANG so i immediately pull over to find out that my driveshaft fell out of the yoke in the rear end. After fighting with it in the rain, i get the shaft out and put it in the bed of my truck, put the truck in 4wd and went about a mile to my buddys house where we put a new u joint in it. But as i figured it out, it turns out that the caps on the joint where its bolted to the rear end yoke blew out. i got it back together now, so ill see what it does when i drive it. just have to keep an eye on it...

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
good luck with it! hopefully itll be good to go now. 4x4 is a life saver in that situation, ive been there before

SteveDomms1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter
Front shaft u joints

So I've heard that it's pretty difficult to do the front and middle u joints at the knuckle on the front driveshaft. Is there a special way to remove them other than pressing them out? Also, could you get away with not balancing it? I'm pretty sure it's a part-time system.