Rough Start and Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keagan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Have a 98 5.2, its not starting well, i seemed like a dead battery at first but then driving down the road and let off the gas and it stalled. Took it home and looked around. cable to air filter compartment was disconnected so i thought that was it. but it still wont start well. if i hold the ignition on it will fire but stalls under idle. after a minute of giving it some gas it will stay running enough to drive but when i shut it off it does it again. and its getting worse and harder to start. Pleae Help!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You have a failing battery that is resetting the PCM, thereby making it have to re-learn where the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve has to position itself on the throttle body.

OP
OP
Keagan

Keagan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks dodge dude, ya i started here then went to autozone and had it tested, new battery and its fine, was getting 250 cca out of 850.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yikes. I'm surprised you had any power at all.

The truck should definitely run better now. I know mine did. Good to know all is well again. :)