Skipping And Stalling!?!?!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
:birgits_tiredcoffee hello im so feed up with toying with my 2001 dodge ram truck has the 5.9 Magnum in it, i just replaced idle air control the tps the skipping got a little better but now it stalls alot??? after i replaced the sensors, could it be the EGR?? going down the road runs like a champ but at a red light she stalls out and the RPM Gauge jumps so much the damn thing could join the Olympics jumps a lil but not much between 1 grand and like 2 notches above it? so if anyone can help please let me know and if u think it is the EGR could u tell me how to get to it i dont see it no were i damn sure dont feel like spending 70-100 bucks on an EGR, i also heard u can by pass it??? is that bad for the truck???

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to the forum bud, possibly an air leak at the intake manafold?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ken beat me to it. These magnum engines are bad about the plenum gaskets leaking so that could be the issue. Is it burning any oil?

Also check the pcv valve and hose from the side of the intake to the valve covers. Also take a look at the check valve in your brake booster

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
CEL???? and yes i hear an air leak when i hit the throttle under the hood???

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
It might not toss a check engine light until it gets severe.

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
ok yes it is usuing oil fairly good actually?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Theres a few guys here that have done the p kit to fix your issue here bud, I have never done one but one of them will chime in.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Could be the pcv valve, also could be an air leak off the throttle body. Those stock intakes are known for that. I have an air leak in mine to but it isn't that bad. I actually fixed both and it still leaks a little bit. Anyway welcome to the forum

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
well the throttle body is not leaking for sure i here a like a whistle when i rev on it a lil and when i go to engage gas it does not want to do nothing then finally it picks up and when i come to a slow stop it dies

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The plenum gasket involves removing the throttle body and intake to replace. Not sure of your mechanical ability, but it's a decent job for someone with experience.
The air leak you hear could be a couple of things. Most common is the seal between the stock filter housing and throttle body. If you don't get the clamp set just right or that gasket is worn, it'll suck air through there as well

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
well the throttle body is not leaking for sure i here a like a whistle when i rev on it a lil and when i go to engage gas it does not want to do nothing then finally it picks up and when i come to a slow stop it dies

Could also be a failing fuel pump

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
well i replaced intakes on hond'as and all lol smaller more compact vehicals i should be able to handle this but it does use oil i see a lil bit of sludge in the botoms not a lot what does this indicate?

also it drives down the road smooth for miles at a time only does this slowing down or at a stop

Last edited:

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
egr or trans solenoid would be my guesses

my 01 did the same skipping and stalling and it turned out to be a solenoid on the transmission. about a 350 fix

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take off your factory intake, crack the throttle body blades and have a look down into the manifold with a flashlight. If you see any oil buildup, your plenum went bye bye. Also, pull out the number 8 spark plug, if there is any oil build up on it, there is your prob. I had the same problem you had, got to the point it was so bad it through a code, it was a number 8 cylinder misfire. The number 8 spark plug is usually the first plug to foul out in the event of of a plenum leak.

By the way, there is no EGR valve in any of the 2nd gen rams from 96-2001.

Hope you figure it out.

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Take off your factory intake, crack the throttle body blades and have a look down into the manifold with a flashlight. If you see any oil buildup, your plenum went bye bye. Also, pull out the number 8 spark plug, if there is any oil build up on it, there is your prob. I had the same problem you had, got to the point it was so bad it through a code, it was a number 8 cylinder misfire. The number 8 spark plug is usually the first plug to foul out in the event of of a plenum leak.

By the way, there is no EGR valve in any of the 2nd gen rams from 96-2001.

Hope you figure it out.

hey bro thanx i think thats it man i had oil on the plug so it might be filed out huh? i took throttle body off and i did see oil so thats the plenum ??

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey bro thanx i think thats it man i had oil on the plug so it might be filed out huh? i took throttle body off and i did see oil so thats the plenum ??

Yes sir, unfortunately they all have the problem! The reason it happens is a combination of two things. The factory manifold is cast aluminum, and for some reason the bright engineers at Chrysler thought it would be a good idea to use a stamped STEEL plenum plate (instead of aluminum). The two different metals expand and contract at different temperatures, causing the gasket to rupture. The other reason is the bolts the factory used to secure the plate to the manifold are too long and cannot be torqued down properly.

Temporarily, you can try and clean up the plug, and swap it with another plug. Or just go and buy a replacement plug.

However, it would be a good idea to set aside a weekend and replace the plenum plate with an upgraded one from Hughes engines (That is what I did), or APS. Make sure to use fel pro gaskets. And while the manifold is off is also the perfect time to replace the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. (Use the stock champion plugs, the magnum engines are very picky about there plugs.)

If you do those things, your truck will feel brand new. But first verify that it is a misfire problem you are having. Like I said earlier, either replace the plug with a new one, or try and clean it up and swap it with one of the other plugs. You may also want to check the Technical Service Bulletin on proper spark plug wire routing.

I hope you get it all situated.

-Patrick

OP
OP
M

miles102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Yes sir, unfortunately they all have the problem! The reason it happens is a combination of two things. The factory manifold is cast aluminum, and for some reason the bright engineers at Chrysler thought it would be a good idea to use a stamped STEEL plenum plate (instead of aluminum). The two different metals expand and contract at different temperatures, causing the gasket to rupture. The other reason is the bolts the factory used to secure the plate to the manifold are too long and cannot be torqued down properly.

Temporarily, you can try and clean up the plug, and swap it with another plug. Or just go and buy a replacement plug.

However, it would be a good idea to set aside a weekend and replace the plenum plate with an upgraded one from Hughes engines (That is what I did), or APS. Make sure to use fel pro gaskets. And while the manifold is off is also the perfect time to replace the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. (Use the stock champion plugs, the magnum engines are very picky about there plugs.)

If you do those things, your truck will feel brand new. But first verify that it is a misfire problem you are having. Like I said earlier, either replace the plug with a new one, or try and clean it up and swap it with one of the other plugs. You may also want to check the Technical Service Bulletin on proper spark plug wire routing.

I hope you get it all situated.

-Patrick

yea man thanx alot this helps im gonna jump on it first thing in the morning and thanx again u all you guys been alot of help

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Late tot he party but I have done the plenum as well. It's not hard but it is time consuming. I picked up a new plate and gasket when I did mine. Got it from hughes engines.

Ms.MagnumSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC
Engine
Magnum 4.7 v8
My 4.7 was doing the same thing, changed the tps, cleaned the throttle body and reset the computer .Now its doing much better. Hope you figure out whats going on with yours.