Some Helpful Power Steering Hose etc tips!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

impulseballer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Hey guys. I found with doing research that matching part numbers up to correct bolt sizes/fittings for the Ram 1500 can be hard. So I figured I'd post up some info and tips on replacing/fixing a common power steering issue.

I have a 01 Ram 1500 Sport Off-Road Edition w/ 5spd

The why I am doing this:
So my power steering luckily went out in front of my house while I was going to run errands. At least I have my other car for now. Found all my PSF was gone so I filled it up and turned the wheel and saw the leak right at the power steering gearbox lines. They were all rusted and puking fluid. So I replaced all 3 lines, upgraded cooler, added billet inline filter (Pump-gearbox,gearbox-cooler,cooler-filter,filter-pump). I figuired with doing all the lines I might as well replace the cooler and add an inline filter for longevity since I place on having her forever.

Helpful Tips:
Some main parts needed: **most parts at advanced auto for 30% off with code TRT30 which was a great price.
-18mm to 16mm power steering pressure hose -Here
-power steering cooler kit-Here (comes with slightly larger cooler, clamps, hose)
-16mmx3/8" beaded tube-Here
-inline filter- Here

***The cooler kit from advanced auto will include enough tubing for all the runs you need to make not under high pressure.

***Nice little gem here, if you don't have flare nut wrench etc for the power steering line connections you can take a sharp pair of nippers and cut the metal tube at the nut and then put a socket wrench on top for a good grip and torque.

***The cooler from advanced auto was way cheaper than the factor replacement and I could pick it up in less than 30 mins down the block so I took the factory cooler and hacked it out of it's bracket. My goal was to use the bracked and cut out some notches to mount the bigger cooler. I ground down the rust off to metal and painted it.

Then I use the ingenious zip tie method of securing the cooler to the factor bracket.

I then installed upside down for easier mounting and I also had to because it was longer and would have hit the gear box.

Here's how I routed the rest of the hoses and the inline filter etc.

Any other questions etc let me know.