Speedometer squeezes **** between the sheets...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bone McBeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
Hello, new member looking for suggestions. Hoping this is the correct forum location.

Just picked up a 1995 2500 SLT Laramie 4x4 where the only disclosed "issue" was a non-working speedometer. PO stated that it stopped working about 4 months ago.

Sure enough, it wasn't working.

After an initial search for a solution, I figured I needed to replace the VSS on the transfer case. Doesn't seem to have solved the problem. After replacing the sensor and soldering in the associated pigtail (as per this video: https://youtu.be/jBQcG_GeaA4) speedo was still dead for about a block, then the needle swung up to speed until I hit the brakes and decelerated where it then dropped back down to zero (like a rock, not as the truck slowed.) Then, about 120 freeway miles later, the speedo needle swung back up to the current 75mph speed and held in the 70-75 range until I reached my exit 50 miles later. Decelerating onto the offramp the speedo dropped back down to zero as soon as the truck started to slow and stayed at zero until I parked.

To note, there are no ABS or Brake lights active on the dash, and the cruise control is also non-functional. I don't think the "dash function test" works on the '95 as it has analog odometer/tripmeter and OBD1. So I don't know how to check the speedo gauge for functionality.

What does the hive mind have to say? Any suggestions for next step(s)?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T-Bone McBeef

T-Bone McBeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
Probably going to pull the instrument cluster today or tomorrow. Anything specific to look/test for in there? Which relays to check? Are there any "culprit" connections to examine? Is the speedo module worth replacing?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Can't remember the procedure for it but there's a cluster self test/calibrate. Quick google search should pull it up pretty easily.

Edit: disregard, 98+ only.

OP
OP
T-Bone McBeef

T-Bone McBeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
If I swap in another gauge cluster from a salvage yard, as long as it's a cluster with tachometer, are all clusters interchangeable 94-97 / 1500, 2500, and 3500?

Excepting Cummins dashes labeled "Diesel Fuel Only"...

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
94-95 had obd1 computers with lots of old analog add ons. 96-97 is obd2 with everything run through the pcm/ecm.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

OP
OP
T-Bone McBeef

T-Bone McBeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
Yeah, there is that...

So let me rephrase, are the 94-95 clusters interchangeable between the 1500/2500/3500 as long as they are gas and include tach?

Or do I have to source from a similarly spec'd unit ('95 2500, 5.9L gas, SLT Laramie, reg cab, long bed)

Thanks again.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, there is that...

So let me rephrase, are the 94-95 clusters interchangeable between the 1500/2500/3500 as long as they are gas and include tach?

Or do I have to source from a similarly spec'd unit ('95 2500, 5.9L gas, SLT Laramie, reg cab, long bed)

Thanks again.

Clusters from 94-95 are interchangeable on all v6 and v8 engines. The diesel cluster has the wrong tach.

OP
OP
T-Bone McBeef

T-Bone McBeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
Any other obvious things to check that could cause the VERY intermittent speedometer function after replacing the VSS?