Start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrodyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hey there. I have a 95 dodge cummins that the body was really bad on so I'm in the process of doing a body swap. I just want to do a quick start up. Just wondering what I have to run power to to start it. Thanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You should have started it while it was still in the old body. These are slightly more complicated than the engines from 93' and back. You will need both the Cummins ECU and Dodge PCM with the CTM all connected via the correct wiring harnesses, as well as all the proper grounds for the harnesses, sensors and power will need to be hooked up as well.

You don't need the transmission to start it.

I would not try to start it on an engine stand, it is very likely to fall over or damage something. Unless you have a monster stand.

If the PCM and cummins ECU are not connected, it shouldn't start, both read sensor inputs and feed between eachother. I do not believe the Dodge PCM will run without proper input from the CTM, but i'm not 100% on that.

Good luck.