Starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What can cause the engine fuse to blow when I turn the key on? Soon as I turn it on and the check engine light pops on the fuse pops. The check engine light has always been on and stays on. Last night coming home from work I stop at the store and cut it off but when I went to start it it wouldn't start just turn over. Looked at the fuse and seen it was pop replace it and that one pop so I got under the truck looking to see if I seen any wires having bad places in them and nothing but found the 4wd wire unplugged on the hog head on the front. I plugged it back up and it fired up. Ran fine durning the day today but when it got dark its when it started. I went back under the truck and everything is still plugged up and all but I do t understand y it just keeps doing this. Any idea?

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also read that unpluging the starter relay or unplugin the starter silonde would help to know if the start is bad and that is y it ix popping fuses when u just turn the key to the on postion ? Is this true

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
that is true. you definitely have a short to ground somewhere in system. it may require a continuity test from the ignition switch back to the harness.

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the starter relay out and did that and it still pop the fuse. So I went an bought a ignition switch to see if that is the problem. I'm hoping once I replace that it will be fixed

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Man I hate tracking down electrical ahoet s, hopefully its something simple like a chaffed wire to the frame I feel for ya

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I replace the ignition switch an still doing the samething so after looking more into I did fine a green wire that runs to the fuse box in the truck to be burnt and that's the one that keeps popping the engine fuse but after chasing it down through the wire harness it is burnt on to the plug which mean I can't cut the wire to just replace it so now I guess I have to replace the whole harness under the dash.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Before you replace a portion of wire see if you can trace it to the culprit so you don't just burn another wire and fuse. The circuit break occurs at the weak link usually the intended fuse but sounds like you may have a larger issue at play that caused the wire to burn. If you don't track it you will likely have more issues and next time it could short in a more concealed location and burn other adjacent wires etc....

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just going to pull the whole harness out and replace it

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will a wiring harness out of
A 94 dodge ram 1500 work for my 95 dodge ram 1500? Its the harness that goes in the dash

Colewines25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Can anyone give me some input on a problem I've been having with my truck? It's a 1999 1500 with the 5.9 360. I've been experiencing a hard start problem ever since I bought the truck. It'll crank for a long time then eventually it will start. But right after it starts you can shut it off and it'll start back with no problems. My first thought is that it was a bad fuel pressure regulator so I replaced the entire fuel pump. My next guess is a leaky fuel injector. Any thoughts?

Ryan102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For the starting issue I wold take the fuse out and check continuity from both sides to ground on the battery (assuming its a hot circuit.) If your ohms reads below .5 then you have a short to ground. Them follow the schematic from there to find your short. But the schematic will tell all

Ryan102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can anyone give me some input on a problem I've been having with my truck? It's a 1999 1500 with the 5.9 360. I've been experiencing a hard start problem ever since I bought the truck. It'll crank for a long time then eventually it will start. But right after it starts you can shut it off and it'll start back with no problems. My first thought is that it was a bad fuel pressure regulator so I replaced the entire fuel pump. My next guess is a leaky fuel injector. Any thoughts?

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Way to hijack, why not start a new thread? Try fuel filter replacement.

Back to the OP, swapping the whole harness is prob the best bet if you can swing the cost and don't mind the difficulty of the swap... Hope it resolves it for ya

OP
OP
D

Dodeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done everything I can think of to this truck and nothing. I try to jump it by the started to see if it would crank but I'm not getting fire from the diturbor to the coil. The fuel pump ain't kicking on either. Whatever it is has to do with that fuse. Only thing I havent done was replace the computer to see if that was the problem. Any idea on what else it could be?