Still stuck on timing on my 98 1500 with 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luvmyramm42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.2
I'm looking for detailed instructions for timing and fuel sync setup for my 318 have installed new crank sensor, new pickup coil, new timing chain and gears, all new gaskets from top to bottom. This work was brought on by multiple jumped teeth on the timing chain while pulling a heavy load so nothing was where it was supposed to be upon installation. I set piston one at tdc then realigned the cam timing Mark with the crank shaft Mark installed distributor and aligned with cylinder one Mark on distributor truck is not even attempting to start just cranks and cranks i have looked at and followed instruction from multiple places...what am i doing wrong?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

luvmyramm42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.2
I figured it out i believe tore it back apart and my cam was 180° off so hopefully be back on the road tomorrow thanks all for the help

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The only reference book you should be following is the FSM, hope you get it running. These motors are an interference motor.

OP
OP
L

luvmyramm42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.2
Yeah i got it all back together today had everything in line as i rotated the engine multiple times to check my timing marks and valves were moving and lining up when they should be and still no luck so I'm sending it out to the shop for some diagnostic work to be sure I'm not overlooking anything just gonna have guys at dodge fix it this time around cause i can't seem to get it right thanks for the help and I'll be in touch later

OP
OP
L

luvmyramm42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.2
I don't believe i have any valve or piston damage either i don't think it jumped that many teeth and i imagine that would make one hell off a racquet and from what i can tell my valve train and all is still in working order

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Nope no noise at all just a dead stop. Hoping it all goes well at the shop with it.

OP
OP
L

luvmyramm42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.2
Well out didn't just stop i drove for awhile after the initial problem started and i changed the valve seals and they all moved pretty smoothly when i did that so yeah i hope it's nothing serious and not to expensive really missin my truck lol later pin guys and thanks for the help