Swapping instrument cluster for one with a Tach.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Magnum 239
I have a 99 ram 1500 V6 Base. My cluster right now just has the big fuel gauge instead of the tachometer. Can I swap mine with one that does have the tach? Would it be just a simple plug and play or more to it?

New to Dodges but not trucks, just a FYI.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have seen other people post about switching but not sure. I would think you would need to run something for the tach itself to run.

This is what you have now correct?
nospeedo.jpg

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Just did some research someone swapped in one with a tach from a durango 01 into a 99 Ram.

the new one is out of a durango, the only difference is the 4x4 light now says part-time 4wd and the mileage says i have 150k instead of 110k.

the only problem i had was the high beam light would stay on till i turned the headlights on. even with no key and the truck off. the solution was just remove that bulb from the cluster. other than that one problem i like it. just plug and play!

The miles are stored on a chip in the cluster, I would see if the dealership could flash the actual mileage on to the new cluster if they can. Other wise keep track of the mileage discrepancy for when you go to sell/trade so you don't commit a federal crime.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Magnum 239
Thanks man, that's all I needed to know. I don't have a 4x4, so no light there. Having random dash lights on wont bother me cause im used to it from my F150 that I mess around with.
On the mileage thing, couldn't I just swap the chip-thingy to the new one and have my old mileage?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Not sure on how to switch out the chips or where its even located

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mileage is stored in both the PCM and the cluster...not saying Werm is wrong, but I don't think you can have the cluster reflashed to reflect actual mileage, even at the dealer. The PCM will always have the actual mileage stored, but the cluster will pick up and add miles at where ever it was when you installed it. If you ever sell it, you will have to reflect that the current mileage displayed is false or something like that on the title.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah i have no clue if it can be flashed (I would lean more towards no, if the dealerships changed the mileage that would be tampering and a federal crime)

But keep track of the mileage discrepancy for when you sell/trade the truck

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah i have no clue if it can be flashed (I would lean more towards no, if the dealerships changed the mileage that would be tampering and a federal crime)

But keep track of the mileage discrepancy for when you sell/trade the truck

Oh yeah, exactly...vehicle manufacturers must install tamper indicators as well, so when or if a digital odometer is tampered with, it displays weird stuff.

The best thing to do, is search for a cluster on eBay and most sellers will list the mileage stored in the cluster. Find one close to your current mileage.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Magnum 239
I think im just going to install a tach instead. Don't wanna break anything just yet ;) lol. What would I need to wire it to?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Magnum 239
Welp found me an instrument cluster out of a 98 Durango. Will be installing it once I swap the regular bulbs with green LEDs. The only thing I might have trouble with is the shifter cable, how does that exactly remove/install? I had to cut the cable that went to the durango.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Magnum 239
Thanks for the how-to. I swapped the new cluster in and no problems, except for the Hi-beam indicator which did come on. So took that bulb out. I oddly didn't have 4x4 light problem. Eventually going to swap out the bulbs for green LEDS.

RAMMER14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 6.5
There is a way..SIMCO LTD in michigan offers a replacement cluster that fits into the instrument cluster box. It's a flat panel remapped with tach and gas guage there are four guages. Indyglow lights and **** look for $245.00.
Retains oem cluster box and circuit board just replace face panel and plug into empty light hole in back. Reinstall plastic cover and snap into dash position.:)

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
if you have a 99, then you need a cluster from a 98-99 ONLY. if you get this, it will be plug and play

98-99 clusters are the same, and 00-01 clusters are the same.

the difference is between the years the newer ones use LED's built onto the board and you will get a NO BUS if you use an inapropriate year gauge.

I just put a 01 cummins gauge cluster into my 01 V8 just so i could have a working tachometer again, and now my oil gauge is acting a little funny (different sensor probably)

but as long as you get the right year gauge cluster, if will swap right in with no modification needed. and you can use a MA or AT cluster. just swap over your linkage indicator if you need to.

Theres a 99 on ebay right now for $90 or so.

good luck!

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
and if you know how to desolder and solder you can swap the mileage chip. its the ONLY 8 pin eeprom chip on the board.

Twincommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I just swapped in a 98 cluster with tach for a 99 cluster without the tach. I have the high-beam light on with the low beams on. Further reading that I've found online seems to point toward the tach coming out of a Sport model, with a different type of headlight plug. Seems to be the only plausible answer to the high beam light.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just swapped in a 98 cluster with tach for a 99 cluster without the tach. I have the high-beam light on with the low beams on. Further reading that I've found online seems to point toward the tach coming out of a Sport model, with a different type of headlight plug. Seems to be the only plausible answer to the high beam light.

The sport trucks have 4 headlight bulbs to the base Rams 2. One for high beam and one for low beam. Since you took the cluster out of the sport model, it's probably wired that way so yes that's most likely the culprit.