Tach stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I got in my truck earlier and noticed the tach was sitting on 0 while driving. It worked last night when I parked it. It's a '99 1500 Ram Sport with the 5.2L and an automatic transmission.

It doesn't appear to be affecting anything. Haven't had a chance to look at it closer since my wife is out shopping and I'm watching our son. Not sure where to start looking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hmmm that's an interesting one. Could be a sensor or even the cluster. Hard one. What's everyone else here think?

Sent from my apple torching Droid.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, I checked the fuse and relay no problem there. Guess the next step is to start tracing wires :(

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You can find out if there is a problem with your actual gauge cluster, You can run a gauge check by holding the trip odometer reset button (ignition off), then turning on the ignition ("On" position right before the "start" position). Hold the trip reset button until the odometer displays "CHEC". Release the button, and the gauge cluster will undergo a self-diagnostic check, which includes LED segment test (illuminates all LED segments), idiot light test, and gauge check. During the gauge check, the oil pressure gauge should read (if memory serves me right) 0psi, then approx 25psi, then approx 55psi, and finally 110psi. If there are any gauge cluster fault codes, they will display in the odometer at the completion of the test. Otherwise everything returns to normal.
Other than that your on the right track tracing wires.

(p.s. I stole this)

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Did the gauge test, all of the gauges moved except the tach. Didn't see any codes, it just went back to the mileage.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd say it is the cluster then.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Yep, thanks for the help. Never knew there was a test for the gauges. You saved me a lot of time.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No problem, glad you got it figured out!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good info didn't know there was a cluster test. Awesome!!!

Sent from my apple torching Droid.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well got in my truck to go home after work and the tach worked!! I'm thinking there might be a loose connection. I'll have to pull the cluster and make sure the plugs are secure.

Last edited:

LTD-II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your tach? Loose connection, bad electronics?

I just bought a 1998 SS/T and after running the cluster diagnostic, I am getting the same results -- everything besides the tach.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines an 06 but it does the same thing. have done a ton of googling about it and from the pre RF forums have decided the little motor that turns the needle is bad. It's called a stepper motor. found a video a couple weeks ago at work showing how to replace them. Buddies gmc was doing it and we were looking. he got a "new" cluster from napa for 200 bucks. i just haven't taken the time to mess with it.

LTD-II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This tach problem is one of the goofiest things that I have ever encountered in any vehicle that I've owned. At first it wasn't working at all, and then the next day it started working like it normally would. No problems since. I'm sure it will come up again in the not-too-distant future.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Mine still does it from time to time. I just smack the dash and it starts working again. I'm not really worried about for now.