temp...normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So during the winter/spring I was thinking my thermostat might be stuck or failed, but here is what my most
recent temps have been looking like in the 90+ degree heat of Houston. don't
they look pretty normal?

61e4f3a8-d564-6fd0.jpg

Tapatalk Addict

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
yep no workie

My temps have been around the 195, and then up to 210 when towing

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah...you want to be running 180 at the lowest...OEM recommended temp is 192. good thing it stuck in the open position.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could technically leave it like that if you didn't want to fix it right away... but the lower coolant temp will kill your MPG/efficiency.

X2...the PCM is just gonna adjust your air/fuel ratio and make it could start to burn rich...enough of burning rich = valve problems, catalytic converter problems...etc over time. That's only if you're running too cool for the engine to go into open loop.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah..I had just backed it out and drove down the street, it went up a little more after about 20 mins of driving.

still think its stuck...have the new thermostat.

so as far as I know..gotta remove the alternator to get to the housing. and I don't need to drain all the fluid right? any other tips for replacing?

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
X2...the PCM is just gonna adjust your air/fuel ratio and make it could start to burn rich...enough of burning rich = valve problems, catalytic converter problems...etc over time. That's only if you're running too cool for the engine to go into open loop.

maybe this has something to do with my mother f***ing o2 sensor problems.

Tapatalk Addict

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Man, the O2 sensors, the coolant thermostat... Think your truck is telling you it needs some TLC.

No you don't need to drain the fluid since it's by the upper hose. Some of the fluid will spill out the hose though, so wait for it to cool down considerably so you don't burn your hand/arm.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I know :( its so damn hot and I don't have a garage or a car port. I might try to get the thermostat knocked out tomorrow morning or maybe even tonight when it gets dark.

I don't think it would take to long?

Tapatalk Addict

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't know the location on the 2nd gen rams, but for the 4th gens its right out in the open. Just need to take off the upper hose and the thermostat housing, then put the new one in, 30 mins tops.

But if you need to remove the altenator or a/c compressor or something it could take a little longer. Wonder if you need to take the belt off to reach it?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Found a step by step for you:

WARNING: Do not loosen the radiator draincock with the system hot and pressurized. Serious burns from the coolant can occur .

Do not waste reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.

If the thermostat is being replaced, be sure that the replacement is the specified thermostat for the vehicle model and engine type.

Factory installed thermostat housings on 3.9L V-6 or 5.2/5.9L V-8 engines are installed on a gasket with an anti-stick coating. This will aid in gasket removal and cleanup.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. Drain cooling system until coolant level is below thermostat. If not equipped with air conditioning, proceed to step number 4.
3. If equipped with air conditioning:

Support Bracket-Generator Mounting Bracket-To-Intake Manifold-Typical
(a) Remove the support bracket (rod) located near the rear of generator.
(b) The drive belt must be removed.
(c) The generator must be partially removed.
Remove the two generator mounting bolts. Do not remove any wiring at generator. If equipped with 4WD, unplug the 4WD indicator lamp wiring harness (located near rear of generator).
(d) Remove generator. Position generator to gain access for thermostat gasket removal.
WARNING: Constant tension hose clamps are used on most cooling system hoses. When removing or installing use only tools designed for servicing this type of clamp, such as special clamp tool (NUMBER 6094). Snap-on clamp tool (NUMBER HPC-20) may be used for larger clamps. Always wear safety glasses when servicing constant tension clamps .

CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps. If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with a matching number or letter.

4. Remove upper radiator hose clamp. Remove upper radiator hose at thermostat housing.
5. Position the wiring harness (behind the thermostat housing) to gain access to thermostat housing.
6. Remove thermostat housing mounting bolts, thermostat housing, gasket and thermostat. Discard old gasket.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
nvm, Haynes manual says alternator is only on the diesel.

Tapatalk Addict