Tranny dumping fluid out at inspection plate on bell housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hello everyone... first post in a while. I have a 2001 1500 4x4 with 5.9 and 46re (?) So after some pretty hard mudding my transmission is pouring fluid out the front of the bell housing as fast as I can put it in. I've been told that the seal between TC & transmission has failed, which makes sense I guess. I've never been into a transmission any deeper than an oil & filter change.

Hoping someone here can either confirm that is what 5he problem is, or opinions on what else it might be?

Also, if I have to pull the transmission is there anything else that should be done while its out? I dont belive it ever got hot enough

OP
OP
rebel89820

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
to hurt it too bad, it was still shifting smooth & never popped any codes or anything like that, but it was ver close to empty on the dipstick when I got it home...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the front seal or massive crack in the torque converter. It needs to be pulled and that seal replaced or torque converter replaced. While its out a shift kit and filter change would probably help you a lot and extend the life of the transmission. Although if it was ran even the tiniest bit without any oil, a rebuild may be in your near future as well.

OP
OP
rebel89820

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks you guys.. rebuild kit isnt as expensive as I thought it would be so that will probably be the best way to go. posted a bunch of "dirty" pics of all of us stuck in the general forum if anyone wants to see what caused this

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I agree it sounds like a front pump to converter neck seal. I once had a slant 6/904 torque converter neck split, once when I was drag racing , but I believe that is more of a common malady for the 904. I've never heard of that happening on a bigger Trans app.