Tranny stuck in limp mode code P0743

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossyoak2115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I need some serious help! I have a 96 1500 5.9 4x4 and my tranny keeps getting stuck in 2nd gear. It happened once last winter on my way to work but hasn't done it again until 3 days ago, and now it happens everytime I drive it. I'll be driving and all the sudden the rpm's will jump and it wont up or downshift. If I shut it off then start it again right away it will usually be fine for the next 5-10 min and then does it again. There is no CEL on either. I checked for codes with a scanner and it gave me P0743 Torque Converter clutch circuit electrical. I did a bunch of searching and for the life of me cant find a solid answer. Everyone says different things. I checked the fluid and its nice and pink, no burnt smell and its plenty full. Im stumped and would love some help please. Thank you.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If the fluid is pink and not red then it has water in it and needs a change. It sounds like the governor solinoid maybe.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know the years are different and I'm not sure if it's the same transmission but I just had the same problem on my truck and it turned out to be a bad solenoid pack so could be something you can look into

2NDGENGASSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I need some serious help! I have a 96 1500 5.9 4x4 and my tranny keeps getting stuck in 2nd gear. It happened once last winter on my way to work but hasn't done it again until 3 days ago, and now it happens everytime I drive it. I'll be driving and all the sudden the rpm's will jump and it wont up or downshift. If I shut it off then start it again right away it will usually be fine for the next 5-10 min and then does it again. There is no CEL on either. I checked for codes with a scanner and it gave me P0743 Torque Converter clutch circuit electrical. I did a bunch of searching and for the life of me cant find a solid answer. Everyone says different things. I checked the fluid and its nice and pink, no burnt smell and its plenty full. Im stumped and would love some help please. Thank you.

Drop your pan, change fluid, filter etc. Change the two solenoids in there. One is a gov. Pressure solenoid and the other is your torque converter clutch solenoid. Just purchased both on RockAuto for 140.00 might as well tighten the bands while you've got your filter off as well. Just did this all like last week on my 99 5.9L