Trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Just wondering what it could be. When I put it in reverse, it makes a moaning sound. And I already changed the fluid and fliter. Doesn't do it in any other gear, just reverse. So anyone know why it does that?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine does that too, it clunks when I shift directions, might be a U joint, but im pretty sure mine are solid, gonna have it looked at when I do the 100K service. I dont think its anything major seeing as my reg cab did the exact same thing.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Yeah it doesn't seem to have any effect on it. Just moans... kind of weird haha

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not too fond of it. It has drawn funny looks in parking lots, especially if im doing a 3 pointer or something lol, clunk, moan, clunk, moan....

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Huh I dunno Mine just clunks. Maybe its something in the valve body.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
mine moans too only in reverse....but I'm not too concerned about it...I am getting a more solidly built tranny with my income tax return...a guy over in Hudson, FL is building some solidly rebuilt 46RE's for $900...

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Well that makes me feel better that i'm not the only one

FeaRacing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l Magnum
i had the same problem with mine then my reverse went out and it started to not shift properly i think its the rear band that is shot once they go out they wear down the clutch alot and the clutch wont last long, its already to late for me id go get it checked out if i was yall i wish i would have, but its ok my motor and tranny has 59k original miles on it so when i get the chance im goin to a pick-n-pull and gettin me a nv3500 5 speed tranny, boom problem solved! :)

mikeish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the trans mount. It causes the truck to drop like that. It can cause vibration and odd sounds. Easy way to check is to drop it in to park and then with the brake applied drop it in to reverse. Then from reverse to drive.... If the truck makes a big kr-plunk sound and a noticeable "drop" is felt it is the trans mount. Ease to fix put the jack under the trans jack it up a bit unbolt and remove.. slide the new one in tighten down and drive away. they run about 20 buck at any auto part store. It will make a huge difference in road feel!