Trans slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolin4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the worst has happened. I love the second gen trucks but was leery of trans problems after having issues with a brand new one that I bought in 2001 that gave problems from the beginning and I didn't keep long. Anyway I loved the truck and always wanted another. I ran across a 99 club cab with 125,000 miles that I fell in love with and purchased. Well,here we are a month later and the trans slips as it goes into second gear. Anything to fix just that or am I looking at a new trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
This might be a stupid question. Have you ever tried some of that trans fix fluid? Who knows, it could be a quick fix turned permanent.

OP
OP
C

coolin4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No,I haven't done anything yet,just noticed it yesterday but honestly I've never had much luck with "miracle cures" maybe someone has and can vouch for the stuff

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lot's of tranny shops are knowledgable on those trannies these days. I'd find one and take it in. If it hasn't been slipping long, it may be possible to get it serviced and bands adjusted I think before permanent damage happens.

OP
OP
C

coolin4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a shop about an hour from me that I'm gonna have adjust the front bands and see what happens. They come highly recommended

OP
OP
C

coolin4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well took it in today and had the front bands adjusted,took them maybe 20 mins plus the test drive and the slip is gone. He said it needed quite a bit of adjustment,seems awesome now so hoping its trouble free for a few years. Just out of curiosity I priced a rebuild and was told $2300.00, so hoping the $35.00 adjustment holds out

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome news! Hopefully you'll be fine for a while now. Just take it easy on it.

OP
OP
C

coolin4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought the truck to pull a trailer with my jeep 3 or 4 times a year. I'm hoping the trans will be up to the towing. Will only be 3 or 4 hour trips but I'll cross my fingers ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416945652.336027.jpg