Trans temp and pressure guages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking to install trans temp and pressure guages on my truck. Its a 2001 with the 46re trans. Anyone done it? Or have any idea what will work best

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
An aftermarket tranny pan or remove yours and drill a hole on the side, just be careful alot of tranny fluid comes out

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
B&M makes a really nice pan for our trucks. I have one (that i still haven't gotten to put on yet). Also glowshift makes good guages (also have one that is not installed yet).

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
You have a test port on the passenger side of the transmission. That's where I just hooked mine to. I have the temp gauge, but not a pressure gauge. Don't mind the 300 degrees readout. The truck wasn't started. All power and ground wires are run to the radio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439845684065.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439845684065.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 68

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of where the test port is would you? I got so much crap on there right now idk what's what

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a test port on the passenger side of the transmission. That's where I just hooked mine to. I have the temp gauge, but not a pressure gauge. Don't mind the 300 degrees readout. The truck wasn't started. All power and ground wires are run to the radio.

What guage did you buy? Photos of the full install would be much appreciated!!!

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I can't find one right now, but I'll take one tomorrow. Can't really miss it though. Under the passenger side on the transmission, right above the pan, you'll see to small hex head bolts. One close to the dipstick, and one further behind. The second one is the test port. You'll need an extender to put a heat or pressure probe there because of moving parts. Glowshift makes them.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum

I bought the glowshift 7 color changing temp gauge. Right under 60 bucks shipped. Took two days to get here from amazon. I didn't take pics, wish I would have. I'll get some pics of how everything is run tomorrow.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the glowshift 7 color changing temp gauge. Right under 60 bucks shipped. Took two days to get here from amazon. I didn't take pics, wish I would have. I'll get some pics of how everything is run tomorrow.

Thank you. The only reason I'm wanting to run a pressure gauge, is because my truck keeps blowing cooler lines. Its at very random times. So I'm wanting to be able to watch both gauges to see what is going on when my lines are blowing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I can't find one right now, but I'll take one tomorrow. Can't really miss it though. Under the passenger side on the transmission, right above the pan, you'll see to small hex head bolts. One close to the dipstick, and one further behind. The second one is the test port. You'll need an extender to put a heat or pressure probe there because of moving parts. Glowshift makes them.

I wish i would have known this earlier lol. I could have wired up and installed my gauge until i get the new pan in them relocate it to the included port for the pan

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thank you. The only reason I'm wanting to run a pressure gauge, is because my truck keeps blowing cooler lines. Its at very random times. So I'm wanting to be able to watch both gauges to see what is going on when my lines are blowing.

Sounds like what some people call the bladder in the radiator.. I don't know the actual term for it, but coolant and trans fluid could be mixing in your radiator causing pressure on the lines.

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like what some people call the bladder in the radiator.. I don't know the actual term for it, but coolant and trans fluid could be mixing in your radiator causing pressure on the lines.

It happens randomly. It did it like once a month when it was winter. 3 days ago it did it again. Which is the first time in 7 months. I ordered an aftermarket cooler to see if it will help. I might just run a pressure gauge to the line that's blowing, just to see if i can catch a sudden jump.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Nah, you'd know if it were that. Might have trash in the lines. But I'm not a transmission expert lol

OP
OP

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think an oil pressure gauge will work to get a pressure reading from the line?