Transfer case blew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Browntownfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey every one, while getting stuck in my drive way after it rained I needed to go into 4x4, truck felt like it engaged in, but my front wheels never moved., (even 4x4 light came on which was new for a change) I then drove aprox 150-250 miles since then, parked truck at a gas station left it running and heard a rattling noise.. climbed underneath and felt knocking in my t-case. I need to replace it. I have auto trans with the 318. dark and wet didn't feel like crawling down and getting my actual t-case #. but doing some research I should have the 231. which I found for $250 with a 90 day warranty.. not rebuilt just out of a salvage yard. Ill be doing the work my self. Im a trained mechanic, but for boats. don't really deal with this kind of stuff in my world. but I like fixing my own truck, I read that I can put a 241hd in my truck bolt right up. and that If I get the right one, I can convert from auto to manual easier... is that manual engagement 4x4 or electronic 4x4 engagement... I would love to swap my tranny and go to 5 speed. but need to wait on that. would the transfer case have play in that as well. id rather keep manual engagement . also my speedo was off. since I got the truck about a year ago. is that a early sign of tcase going as I read that the speedo is hooked into the tcase.

Specs

127k miles
auto trans
6" lift

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Front driveshaft needs to come down along with rear driveshaft and tail housing of trans. You can swap the 241 but I'm not sure about front driveshaft compatibility or spline count etc. I just know it bolts up.

Nv4500 is the suggested manual to swap. 2500s with the 5.9 v8 had the option of the nv4500 5spd. Auto and manual both came with 241 but I'm not sure on splines again. All 4x4s between 94-01 (02 on 2500 and 3500) were/are machado engagement. No electronic. Most, including myself)see that as a major pro.

What size tires with that 6" lift? Truck pretty sluggish? I have a feeling you have stock 3.55 gearing. Need to regear, ratio you go to depends on tire size, driving habits, etc.