Transmission filter/gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diehardchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Figured Id post this up to see what input the experienced Dodge guys have on my issue.

First off its a prob a stupid question but bear with me.

I did a transmission filter/gasket change on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2WD 5.2L Automatic, 14 bolt pan.

I purchased the Purolator/Proline Transmission Filter (PPL1262) from Pepboys.

Heres my question, does this filter have some kind of cork like material that plugs the filter hole? Im referring to the circular hole that faces upward on filter. Is something placed in here from factory to prevent dust or anything going into filter?

Also if there was something blocking that hole would I be able to add 6 qts of transmission fluid without it being obvious on dipstick? IE would fluid level be insanely high on stick because filter hole is blocked?

Im not noticing any difference in transmission shifts.

Fluid level checked after short drive and it is in range of normal level. added 6 qts if ATF+4 after filer change.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. It could just be me not remembering if that hole was plugged, Ive never bought transmission filters with that hole being plugged but that doesn't mean it isn't done.

OP
OP
D

diehardchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I agree, I def did not plug that hole, BUT has anyone ever seen that hole plugged from factory/manufacturer?

My brother installed it without me and I could have swore there was something in that hole out of the parts box, but Im going off memory and am not 100%.

He says he doesn't remember either and didn't think twice about it since we've never had to remove anything from the filter before.

Im just trying to be safe rather than sorry cause Im thinking Ill prob have to replace a transmission if no fluid is getting into the pan. thats why Im trying to figure out what I can look for to ease my worries that will give me a sign that fluid is going through the trans filter like it should vs dropping the pan again and looking at it to be sure and at the same time Ill have to replace the brand new 6qts of fluid I put in.

I do realize $50 to rebuy trans fluid vs a new transmission is a huge difference so I might just go that route just to have peace of mind.

Question: If filter is blocked would 6 qts of fluid be able to go in and still show normal level at dipstick? Where exactly is dipstick measuring from? from pan?after filter?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
No nothing goes in that hole. Fluid is supposed to flow through it. Block that off and you'll prob cook your trans.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that hole was completely plugged the truck wouldn't have even moved and you would have been able to hear the pump making nasty noises.

OP
OP
D

diehardchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thank you CVX20, I took it around the block after job, got at least into 4th gear with no weird noises, truck started right up.

If you're saying I would immediately know if that hole thru filter is blocked, then it must be ok. Seems to drive and shift with no issues.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I obviously can't guarantee it a 100%,but the fluid has to go through the filter to get to the pump so I'd say you're good to go.If it slips in any gear it will set a code,but if you notice anything odd at all(and you really feel there was something in the filter neck)don't screw around with it.Drop the pan and filter right away.