Transmission help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek_marburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and 99
Engine
Both 360
I have a 98 dodge 2500 with a utility bed on it
360 auto.
It has a PTO. Can I just take this PTO off the truck and put a cover on?
I do have a 99 360 1500 auto trans I'm thinking about rebuilding and if possible replace the PTO trans.

What problems would I occur (would rear end work?). Is this possible?
I can't find anything online about an auto trans with PTO.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF

This is a 4wd truck? If so the pto is run off the xcase. Yes you can just remove the pto drive box from the xcase and replace with a steel cover.

OP
OP
D

Derek_marburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and 99
Engine
Both 360
Yes it's 4x4.... So it's the transfer case. Ok.
Now there's a manual choke. Can i replace that?
Also what's the best rebuild for these transmission?
46re correct?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes it's 4x4.... So it's the transfer case. Ok.
Now there's a manual choke. Can i replace that?
Also what's the best rebuild for these transmission?
46re correct?

Manual choke these never came with them and not used with an mpi system. I am thinking a manual engine speed control for when the pto is in use. I see no use for this if the pto is removed. Otherwise remove what's there and take it to an autoparts store and have them match it up.

46Re is right best rebuild kit, Patc is all I know of but I am sure others will have suggestions for you.

OP
OP
D

Derek_marburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and 99
Engine
Both 360
Thanks man.
I think it's a choke. It's a red knob inside by the ashtray.

This truck is becoming my project. And I just need to know what I have in store for me.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You have to trust me on this one there is no choke on these motors, unless someone put a carb on it. The red knob "might" say choke, but thats not what its controlling, twist lock control cable of some sort?

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man.
I think it's a choke. It's a red knob inside by the ashtray.

This truck is becoming my project. And I just need to know what I have in store for me.
It may be the engagement for the pto. Pulls and engages. Just my experience with wreckers...

Rcjkilroy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a question I recently bought a 2011 ram 1500 4.7 with 71000 miles and as I drove it to GA from Ks on the highway when I put it on cruise control going up hill it will downshift and kick real hard also it seems like it's slipping when I put it in Drive when I took it to the local dealership to me they told me the kick was common I d k what to do anymore I haven't even made the first payment and I have the extended service warranty

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a question I recently bought a 2011 ram 1500 4.7 with 71000 miles and as I drove it to GA from Ks on the highway when I put it on cruise control going up hill it will downshift and kick real hard also it seems like it's slipping when I put it in Drive when I took it to the local dealership to me they told me the kick was common I d k what to do anymore I haven't even made the first payment and I have the extended service warranty
Welcome but but you should start your own thread in the 4th gen section...there are many knowledgeable on here that can help you :)

OP
OP
D

Derek_marburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and 99
Engine
Both 360
It may be the engagement for the pto. Pulls and engages. Just my experience with wreckers...

I think that's exactly what it is.
I've never dealt with anything like this in a truck
Are these PTO's valueable? Like could I get a couple hundred bucks for it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963