Transmission Identification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
I am buying a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab.

The transmission is bad. There`s no foreward gears. Reverse works really well. When it`s put in reverse it drops right in does not make any noise and when I touch the gas it pulls instantly. I do not have a clue as to what would cause all the forward gears to go out but I am open to suggestions.

What I really need is for some one to tell me what transmission I have in the truck so I can start looking for a DIY proceedure on doing the repairs.

The engine is a 8.0 L V-10

Note; the fluid looks brand new. It`s not burnt and there`s no smell like it`s been hot. Plus the fluid level was nearly on the full mark.

Any ideas would be appreciated

And thank you in advance

B 8

OP
OP
B

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
Hey man thanks a lot.

I have to now find a site or book so I can figure out how to get this thing rebuilt or repaired. I am fairly handy and would love to be able to do this my self so I can save a buck or two.

SmokedRam, have you ever taken one of these out?

I have pulled some of the really older automatics in 4x4`s but never one of the newer models. I was wonderig if I should try and pull the trans and transfer case together or if I should try and seperate them first.

Any how thanks again

B 8

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually had transmission problems in my 96 Ram...it was the 46re, but I found a shop about 50 miles north east of me that had them rebuilt on the shelf...I took it to him, let them put a rebuilt unit in, with a lifetime warranty a new trans cooler and three freeze plug repairs for like $1200 out the door.

OP
OP
B

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
I actually had transmission problems in my 96 Ram...it was the 46re, but I found a shop about 50 miles north east of me that had them rebuilt on the shelf...I took it to him, let them put a rebuilt unit in, with a lifetime warranty a new trans cooler and three freeze plug repairs for like $1200 out the door.

1200 bucks is not a bad deal considering the cooler and freeze plugs they instaled. That kind of deal is not in my part of the country. Try 1200 bucks and a one year warranty here.

With all the torque the 8.0 L delivers to the drive line I am surprised any transmission shop would consider any kind of warranty. Those must be some tough transmissions.

My truck lost all it`s forward gears for some reason. Reverse still works fine, there`s no metal shavings in the fluid and the fluid looks brand new. With all that it seems to me that my transmission has probably just broken a part inside that is needed for locking it into it`s forward gears. I am hoping through more research that I can figure out what that part would be and go in to it just deep enough to repair that one particular part and maybe any adjacent parts that may have suffered damage. The guy I bought it from was out in the woods mudding when it failed. And he said it was a sudden failure like something just snapped and the drive line was disconnected.

So I am now going looking for rebuild proceedures on the 47RE.

I have done a lot of engine building and a lot of suspension work in my days but I have never torn into an automatic transmission.

I intend on cataloging every part and its position as I take it down including measuring all the depths and clearances so I can put it back like it was.

I am also going to try and find all the factory spec`s on it so I can compare them to the actual specs currently in it.

Btw I have one more question. If your truck is a 96 and it has a 46re how did you know my truck has the 47re? Just curious.

And thanks again for the help

B8

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
According to my factory service manual...

NO DRIVE RANGE
(REVERSE OK)
1. Fluid Level Low. 1. Add fluid and check for leaks if drive is
restored.
2. Gearshift Linkage/Cable
Loose/Misadjusted.
2. Repair or replace linkage components.
3. Rear Clutch Burnt. 3. Remove and disassemble transmission
and rear clutch and seals. Repair/replace
worn or damaged parts as needed.
4. Valve Body Malfunction. 4. Remove and disassemble valve body.
Replace assembly if any valves or bores
are damaged.
5. Transmission Overrunning Clutch
Broken.
5. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Replace overrunning clutch.
6. Input Shaft Seal Rings Worn/
Damaged.
6. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Replace seal rings and any other worn or
damaged parts.
7. Front Planetary Failed Broken. 7. Remove and repair.

I'd make sure your gear linkage/electrical connector to pcm isn't full of mud.

Automatic transmissions for 2nd gens are grouped by thier "output load capcity". 42 being the lowest and 47 being the highest. A 47 series transmision is only found on v-10 and diesel trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
According to my factory service manual...

NO DRIVE RANGE
(REVERSE OK)
1. Fluid Level Low. 1. Add fluid and check for leaks if drive is
restored.
2. Gearshift Linkage/Cable
Loose/Misadjusted.
2. Repair or replace linkage components.
3. Rear Clutch Burnt. 3. Remove and disassemble transmission
and rear clutch and seals. Repair/replace
worn or damaged parts as needed.
4. Valve Body Malfunction. 4. Remove and disassemble valve body.
Replace assembly if any valves or bores
are damaged.
5. Transmission Overrunning Clutch
Broken.
5. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Replace overrunning clutch.
6. Input Shaft Seal Rings Worn/
Damaged.
6. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Replace seal rings and any other worn or
damaged parts.
7. Front Planetary Failed Broken. 7. Remove and repair.

I'd make sure your gear linkage/electrical connector to pcm isn't full of mud.

Automatic transmissions for 2nd gens are grouped by thier "output load capcity". 42 being the lowest and 47 being the highest. A 47 series transmision is only found on v-10 and diesel trucks.

Okiespaniel I really appreciate you taking the time to post all that info.

My first thoughts were something major broken inside the unit. But after your advice to check for mudd and reading through where it reads to check linkages there is a very remote possibility It is something simple and repairable with out having to pull the trans.

I`ll copy and past your entry into a word pad then print it and take it to where the truck is so I can systematically check every thing line by line.

Btw where did you get your service manual. If I have to take this transmission down I am going to need a book to go by so I don`t mess things up.

Thanks Again Okie

B 8

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have a 2001 service manual I downloaded off another forum. Some information is the same, some not.

I have it on pdf file that I can email, unless one of the admins will post it.

becraftc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Wouldn't happen to know what transmission is in my 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 would you? It came stock with a 318, but has been upgraded to the 360. Don't think the tranny has been changed if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
B

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
Wouldn't happen to know what transmission is in my 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 would you? It came stock with a 318, but has been upgraded to the 360. Don't think the tranny has been changed if that makes a difference.

Go the following web site, fill out the necessary information and Chrysler will send you a build sheet that covers every part of your truck. It`s free of charge and generally only takes a couple days to get the information back. This is how I got the info on my tranny. Good luck

Contact Dodge

OP
OP
B

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
Go the following web site, fill out the necessary information and Chrysler will send you a build sheet that covers every part of your truck. It`s free of charge and generally only takes a couple days to get the information back. This is how I got the info on my tranny. Good luck

Contact Dodge

Ok for some reason the address I gave you is not showing up in my post. Contact me by pm and we`ll try it that way.