transmission not shifting into 3rd cleanly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram98tough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay everyone, i have a '98 ram 1500 4x4 w318. runs like a champ. but i recently starting having this transmission problem. every gear shifts great except for 3rd. if i drive normal it will redline and still not shift into 3rd. ( not that i have done that, i have only went up to about 4000rpm )
i have to be driving down the road, let it get up to about 3000rpm and let off the gas completely until the rpm's drop to a idle then gas again and it will shift into 3rd like normal and off i go like nothing was wrong.
i dropped the pan replaced the filter, fluid, gov sensor and pressure sensor. cleaned it up real nice and put it back together. the bands did have a little play but not enough that i thought they needed tightened. (maybe 1/4 inch play)
i did all that this weekend, and took out for a drive and still having the same problem.
please help! i can't go much longer with my truck injured…