Truck dies while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bbatman1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hello all, new guy to the forum.

I have a 1999 Ram 1500 5.2 engine. I have been having periodic problem of my truck stalling, with "No Bus" error code. I pull to side of road, wait a while and it'll fire up.

I have been researching the internet for possible solutions. I replaced the crank position sensor, but problem persisted. I then ordered a remanufactured ECM from All Computer Resources out of Miami (they have a good price for module already programmed, basically plug-n-play).

I installed the ECM this morning and was driving to UPS store to return core, unfortunately my truck started doing same thing. I waited, restarted and started heading home, got a block away from home and it died again. This time I waited and waited and it would not start. Fortunately, I had my original ECM with me that I was going to return. I plugged it in, just set in in the engine compartment. It fired right up. I got it home and left it running to see if it shuts down again. I've been checking it every 10 to 15 minutes, hasn't died yet. It is still just sitting in the compartment (not mounted) with my hood raised.

It was running for just over an hour and I decided to close the hood. Within 10 minutes the truck shut off. I had the "no bus" error code and the "check engine" and "gas pump" lights were on (I just filled up yesterday, so my gas tank is full). Also, I noticed the ECM was warm, I took temp with IR it read 130* F.

I couldn't restart the truck (I'll try after a while).

Anybody have any ideas on what may be causing this?

Is it overheating? Is there something else I can look at?

Help! I need my truck for work.

Thanks,

Mike :emotions133:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Start simple. Check your grounds. I recently helped another guy with a similar issue. He'd just done his plenum and had a bad connection with the ground wire on the back of the alternator.

OP
OP
B

Bbatman1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
dapepper9, thanks for responding. I checked grounds, all look good. Problem still persists. When it died (again) I disconnected the throttle position sensor and sprayed contact cleaner on contacts plugged back in and it fired up and continued (so far) to run. I hope I'm narrowing it down. again, thank you for your help.

Mike