Truck won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsherer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hello all,

First off, if this isn't the right place to post this, I apologize and feel free to move it.

Now, I have a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 with a Magnum 5.2L with roughly 93,000 miles with the original motor and transmission (from what I was told by my very good friend whom sold me the vehicle as he also believes it's the original motor and transmission).

Right now, there is a faulty batter and will need to be replaced as it's not pushing the right amount of power (should be about 12 amps if I'm not mistaken, and it's at about 8 amps). Disconnecting the battery once it's started doesn't kill the truck, so I don't think it's the alternator -- if I keep applying gas. If I stop giving the truck some gas, it dies. Spark plugs/wires are new, alternator is new, starter is new.

Now, could the plugs be misfiring? I guess it's possible, but to be honest I don't think so as all of this happened after I put in some gas from my Dad's garage and he wasn't there to confirm the contents. 2 things could have happened; I could have put in 2 cycle fuel or I could have put in gummy gas. I don't know, my Dad is out of town and I'm house sitting, so there isn't a way to figure this out until Sunday.

If the gas was really 2 cycle fuel, what do I need to do? How about if it was gummy gas? Do I just put in some fuel additives and hope for the best?

I can delve into more details if needed, although I'd like to get myself out of this conundrum I've found myself in. If I've hosed anything beyond repair, I'll feel a bit rancorous about this.

OP
OP
R

rsherer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Issue fixed. Just needed a new battery. From what I can tell this was due to the ECM not having enough current going through it.