Vacuum Lines coming from Firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge2day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all....

I had a damn mouse chew a bunch of wires on my engine (1996 Dodge, 5.9l). I think I have all those repaired. I got the truck to start easily, but the idle was increasing/decreasing and smoke was coming from the exhaust.

I noticed two very small vacuum lines also had a hole chewed in them. One of the lines "Ts" into the other. Both lines come out of the firewall on the passenger side. (They are about the size of a large piece of spaghetti)

Questions: What are these lines for and what do need to take off inside truck to replace them? (I assume there is no way to "splice" them?)

I very much appreciate any help on identifying/fixing this!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The vac lines going into the firewall are for the air box/heater controls. Yes you can just splice them using a piece of vac hose from the auto parts store. Get a size that fits over the existing lines and away you go. If you have to replace the factory vac line I believe the dash (yes the whole dash) has to come out.

OP
OP
D

Dodge2day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a million, Merc!!!!

I will give that a try!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
More than happy to help.

Oh by the way Welcome to RF! Great bunch of people here hope you stick around.

OP
OP
D

Dodge2day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More than happy to help.

Oh by the way Welcome to RF! Great bunch of people here hope you stick around.

Thanks for the welcome, Merc!

The post/question above was my first - and you, kind sir, gave me a speedy solution!

I hope I can help someone also in the future....

Now, off to find some vacuum hose - According to my slide "micrometer?", it looks to have a OD of 1/8th inch...

Thanks again for your help!