VP44 Fuel Injection Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

res8856

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel
Where do I find a copy of the official Dodge Factory Service Manual for the VP44 injection pump? I want pages from their publication that show fuel pressure and gallons per hour specifications for this pump. Specifically, what are the maximum and minimum published pressures and gph that this pump should be subjected to without causing it to malfunction? I am not interested in speculation, just the facts please.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426905884.749005.jpg
There were not any official readings on gph, however this article, http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2n...-specification-for-bosch-vp44-injection-pumps, suggests a minimum of 100 gph to maintain proper lubrication of the pump. From what I understand, the only limitations to the amount of gph the system can handle lie within the fuel delivery system (lines, fittings, etc). .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

res8856

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel
vp44 fuel pressure

Thanks. I am especially interested to know if Dodge, Cummins or Bosch publishes a maximum psi. Why? Because my shop is trying to tell me that 15psi from my Air Dog lift pump is too much and is causing hard start problems when the engine is hot. The truck worked just fine for 9 years with the Air Dog until my first VP44 failed. I've replaced the VP44 twice in the last year. The last one supposedly has everything you can buy in a rebuild including a new computer with zero heat cycles, new rotor/distributor, new diaphram, new steel bushed housing, new angle sensor and all current up-grades. Yet the hot, hard start persists. The engine starts without a problem when it is stone cold.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should be fine at 15 psi. As the picture above states the overflow valve opens at 14 psi. You want the overflow valve to stay open to lubricate and cool the injector pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk