2500/3500, what's the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had a 2500 Cummins next to a 3500 srw Cummins, what's the difference besides basing? Long ways out, but looking at a 2 year purchase date. Will be getting a new job then, which will allow me to upgrade to a new truck. Any and all comments accepted.
Thanks!

mountainbigbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Assuming we are talking single rearwheel vs duel that would be obvious! Difference that I know top of my head: Transmissions, payload of course stiffer suspension. Towing capacity is more too. Axles and brakes I think are differnt. 3500 have box camera available and pre drilled holes in the box for 5th wheel Maybe not all. Engines I have told have a slight increase in power due to heavier transmission.
And of course price! I went with the 2500 only because I felt 3500 was overkill for my usage. But if I had big trailer or whatever for sure 3500

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
To correct the post above... there's no difference in the engine, axles/differential, or brakes between a 2500 and a SRW 3500.

At this time the 2500's are using a coil spring rear suspension where the 3500's are still using a leaf spring. That's the main difference between the two for sure. The rest of the truck is almost identical build wise. Yes the Aisin transmission is optional in a 3500 but isn't standard. There is a slight increase in tuning with the Aisin but it has nothing to do with it being heavier. It's because the transmission can handle it where the 68rfe can't. You can get the bed camera and gooseneck/fifth wheel prep package on either truck so no difference there. But all that being said... that's right now. In 2 years there's likely to be more changes/differences not to mention that the 5th generation should be starting to come out.

mountainbigbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Oh yes forgot the coil spring came out after I bought my 13. Good to know about the brakes and axles. The reason i thought they where different is because they have changed the routing of the antilock wires but that may between years of the trucks. Making wonder if they changed them between 2500/3500
But Bradonjansen is defiantly the expert here NOT me!

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonderful information fellas! Thanks a bunch. Sounds like a 2500 with a G56 is what I want! :)