2nd Posting- this one is an actual problem I need to fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Ok gents, heres my question. Checked my O.P. with a mechanical guage. Never drops below 20 even when hot and at low idle, yet my stupid dash gauge keeps going bat poo crazy when I slow down, same with the fuel gauge (got that one covered though... stupid dodge sending units, anyone have a pic of the sending unit mod with a spring and nut I can see?) This problem is driving me crazy some days, with the annoying ding ding ding every time I stop. Any ideas? replace sending unit? something else?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
2nd post ? What was the first one ....LOL

I am not familiar with the spring and nut deal you speak of .. please clarify

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on the sending unit on the tank- apparently part of the issue( fuel gauge going screwy at times) is the float arm wears over time, causing irregular pressure on the contacts for the variable resistor on the sending unit. Found that out with alot of digging on the bombers site. Someone (cant find the post now to save my life) said they fixed the issue by attaching a small spring on the shaft somehow providing constant tension on the resistor.

And for your first question, my first post was posted five minutes before this. But due to seperate subjects, standard forum etiquete usually wants a different post for different questions. Makes it easier to search for someone who has the same issues.

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
found the website describing the sending unit fix for the fuel system
CJ Johansson's fuel sender repair

now if anyone has any ideas on the oil pressure setup Ill be happier than a pig in slop. the only ding ding ding I want to hear is me dropping change into the center console lol.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I'm not sure what year truck you got... But a new sender can be purchased at the dealer.

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its a 98 12v moparman. I looked at the price for the new sending unit, but think Im going to try and run the fix for the sending unit first. The worst that can happen is it doesnt fix the problem. If it doesnt Im not out any of my hard earned government paycheck (e-5 pay isnt a lot of extra dough these days lol)
Any ideas about the oil pressure issue guys? replace the oil pressure unit, have the pcm reflashed or what?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Ahh there is a repair for those... I'd go for it and give it a shot... :)

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
clarify your fix you speak of oh great mopar lord lol
ive been on your forum all morning reading up as well hahaha.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler

Thats why we made him a section mod here ... he knows a thing or 100 :Wedgie:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler

Thats why I made him a section mod here ... he knows a thing or 100 :Wedgie:

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I found that.
Plan on doing the CJ fix sometime next week (got to love dropping a weeks worth of leave to play with the truck)

Now- What about my oil pressure problem. Heres a recap- Verified with mechanical gauge good oil pressure readings. Verified good grounds, cleaned all contacts with electrical contact cleaner, yet my stupid ding ding light and check gauge light comes on almost every time i stop. Oil pressure on dash board drops to 0. To some people, this would be a minor annoyance, but Im semi-ocd. I like to watch my gauges move, comes from being a radio guy in the military I guess. It gives me the warm and fuzzies to watch a good gauge sweep when everything is in the green. What could this issue be caused by? Bad cluster? (do the 98's have the same gauge test function my 00 jeep has?) Bad sending unit? PCM error? or has the great and mighty dodge electrical gremlin reared its ugly head just so I have something to fix?

Thanks for everything so far, you guys know your stuff.
Hey RH- do you have any Valve cover gaskets in stock btw? About to adjust the valves and if my gaskets are shot I migth just replace them, so my dodge doesnt continue to mark its territory (as much) lol.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Common for the senders to fail... Don't get shocked to bad when you see the price for a new oil pressure sender...