89' D250 12v warm up time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
With the weather getting colder, I'm seeing warm up time being what I feel is excessively long being more than 15 minutes. The temperature raises slowly and doesn't vary like I have read about in other posts. Being new to diesels I don't have any experience with running this engine but I'm thinking there isn't a thermostat installed in this one. What is normal warm up time?

Thanks,

pwrwagn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant Six
With the weather getting colder, I'm seeing warm up time being what I feel is excessively long being more than 15 minutes. The temperature raises slowly and doesn't vary like I have read about in other posts. Being new to diesels I don't have any experience with running this engine but I'm thinking there isn't a thermostat installed in this one. What is normal warm up time?

Thanks,

If it's just sitting and idling, and it's freezing or below - expect to take 15-25 minutes to get warm.

I used to work 18 miles from home, and when it was 25 degrees outside, I would nearly be to work before the temp gauge hit where it should be. Of course, some of that was downhill.

On the way back, which was uphill, it took 10 miles to get fully warm.

It's a VERY large chunk of iron, with a lot of water, and a lot of very cold air being sucked into it.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
EGTs at idle are 270*-300* so it's going to take forever to warm up just sitting
As long as you have oil pressure drive it, 3-5 miles it'll warm up

Plugging it in helps too
I've only ever plugged mine in once, to make sure it worked
With 28* ambient temperature, coolant warmed up 25* in an hour
I'd recomend plugging it in 3 hours before you want to leave for quicker warm up (a timer that can handle 750w+ comes in handy for leaving for work)

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Appreciate your input, I'm in south centeral Virginia and it doesn't get really cold here and haven't had any starting problems, it just seems to take longer than what I thought it should to warm up. Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't have a stat, but the gauge does run in the center of the gauge when it is warmed up.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Coolant temp in my truck will only get to 100-120* idling for 10-15 minutes
We've had some single digit weather and the truck will hardly get over 180* so the thermostat won't open

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Coolant temp in my truck will only get to 100-120* idling for 10-15 minutes
We've had some single digit weather and the truck will hardly get over 180* so the thermostat won't open

From the sound of it, yours is even more cold blooded than mine...