Best way to heat a cab on cold mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chucky33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Does anyone have good advice on how to get the cab warm on cold mornings with a Cummins 6.7 diesel

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Do you use the block heater??

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Donnieram2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7 liter
I actually tried one of those Mr heaters work pretty good but be careful you can burn your truck up!!

OP
OP
C

Chucky33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No I just bought the truck and did not realize they would not have a block heater as standard equipment

OP
OP
C

Chucky33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Cab , I normally start the engine early but the cab don't get warm and my defroster don't get warm until I drive a couple of miles.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
No I just bought the truck and did not realize they would not have a block heater as standard equipment
Look inside the the bumper opening on the passenger side. If it came from the dealer with the cord it will be clipped up inside. If the cord is not there you can order one online.

Greg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

You'll have to look at your build sheet to see. Or look on the truck for the plug. Sometimes it's ******* right behind the passenger headlight.

OP
OP
C

Chucky33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Look inside the the bumper opening on the passenger side. If it came from the dealer with the cord it will be clipped up inside. If the cord is not there you can order one online.

Greg

Thank you I found the plug after you told me exactly where to look.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thank you I found the plug after you told me exactly where to look.
No problem bud. Make sure you unplug it before you start the truck. It still won't be warm when you jump in but it will get warm a whole lot quicker.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chucky33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok the block heater let's it warm up quicker but it still doesn't get the defrost working quick enough. Even when I use the remote start and let it run for about 10 or 15 minutes it is still blowing cold air until I drive it for a couple miles

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok the block heater let's it warm up quicker but it still doesn't get the defrost working quick enough. Even when I use the remote start and let it run for about 10 or 15 minutes it is still blowing cold air until I drive it for a couple miles

Welcome to the world of Cummins. To be fair, all the big heavy diesels are like that. Just a lot of mass to get warm, usually with big radiators. You could try to put a bra over your grill, (or cardboard as we'd use here in Alaska)

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is so true. I let mine idle long enough to scrape the frost off the windshield. Then just drive to burn off the rest. Even with high idle set you can burn a lot of time and fuel trying to get the cab warm.

Greg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
another vote for remote start:crazy:. i got one for my ramcharger and now wish i had bought one sooner. it saves me at least 5 minutes a day any day i got to work especially in the winter when it is freezing cold and your vehicle probably has to run at least 10 minutes to keep the windshield defrosted.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
We sell a beautiful and small diesel fired heater that gets turned on by a timer. Fits under a seat. I'll try to remember the name of it tomorrow at work. It's maybe a Webasto.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the world of Cummins. To be fair, all the big heavy diesels are like that. Just a lot of mass to get warm, usually with big radiators. You could try to put a bra over your grill, (or cardboard as we'd use here in Alaska)

I agree with the winter cover, it should help it warm up quicker when remote started. One of the reasons I wasnt fond of my old trucks.