Best way to heat a cab on cold mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Completely forgot. Worked on a Super B side dump today and was just focused on that. I've a nasty cold. Can't think well.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I agree with the winter cover, it should help it warm up quicker when remote started. One of the reasons I wasnt fond of my old trucks.
electric fans also allow an engine to warm up quicker in the winter. my 81 heats up super quick even in the winter compared to my 93 and the only difference is that the 81 has electric fans. if i could get the stock fan clutch off my 93 it would be off already but it is on pretty tight.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
OK, Webasto. But we installed a engine heater and cab heater pair. Around $2200+ plus installation.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What good is a remote start when he has to go out and unplug it first anyways?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What good is a remote start when he has to go out and unplug it first anyways?

Why not unplug it at the house, you know, at the "other" end of the extension chord... or even better, use an outlet that is controlled by an inside switch... toasty.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Why not unplug it at the house, you know, at the "other" end of the extension chord... or even better, use an outlet that is controlled by an inside switch... toasty.
Or a timer. From what I've been reading it on my takes a couple hours to warm the block unless it is unreal cold.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Why not unplug it when you have to leave? I've never unplugged till I went outside.

Mind you, I haven't plugged in in over ten years. I have a garage.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why not unplug it when you have to leave? I've never unplugged till I went outside.

depends on the type of heater. If its an element heater, (like a hot-water heater element - usually installed in a freeze-plug), then you don't need to unplug. If its a tank-type, circulating heater (a heated pump that actually circulates the warmed coolant around the engine), then you do.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

There is a tag on the cord from the factory with a warning that the truck just be unplugged before starting. Something bout an air pocket in the coolant causing the element to burn out.

Greg

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
depends on the type of heater. If its an element heater, (like a hot-water heater element - usually installed in a freeze-plug), then you don't need to unplug. If its a tank-type, circulating heater (a heated pump that actually circulates the warmed coolant around the engine), then you do.

I had those before. Got one in the garage. 1500w. Weird.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
There is a tag on the cord from the factory with a warning that the truck just be unplugged before starting. Something bout an air pocket in the coolant causing the element to burn out.

Greg

Weird. Never seen that. Circulating coolant gets air pockets?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i still stand behind a remote start. i know mine saves me at least 5 minutes a day on days i got to work or days i am falling behind. just have to hit a button and it fires up and i can keep doing what i need to do to get ready. i know it has definitely made it easier on the days i don't want to get out of bed and go to work.