Calling On Your Good Graces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
She's a 97' with a mechanical fuel pump, which I just replaced as she wouldn't start. The driver of this truck, a fellow employee drained the fuel filter, at the water valve on the filter, thinking it might help. with all the cranking he did the filter never filled up. I came along and replaced the filter and the lift pump, and she still wouldn't start, no fuel at the filter again. Thinking a line maybe sucking air, I pulled the tank line off at the back of the engine, and plumbed in an electric fuel pump, that was laying around the shop, and drew fuel off a five gallon can and she started. OK, what did I have here ? I replaced the neoprene fuel hose at the back of the engine, and pumped the tank line back in, and she started all that day as I went about my work. She sat three day's and the wouldn't start. I took the rubber off off at the intake tube, next to the intake, on the exit side of the intercooler, and fogged it with some fuel, and it started, and ran like it does when you replace the fuel filter...
Note: The injection pump does have problems. Stalling rough idle. When she runs she runs real well.

I'm at a loss here.

OP
OP
Auggie1956

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Still at it on the no start condition. I changed out the pressure relief valve on the return line, on the pump, thinking it was lowering the pump pressure but still no start. My fuel pressure gauge only goes up to ten pounds, and it pegs the needle. The local pump rebuild shop don't think it's the injection pump.