Considering Making The Switch To Diesel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey there Diesel Dudes and Dudettes. I currently drive a 2012 5.7 2wd, and I am realizing that it just isnt up to what I throw at it on a daily basis. I've decided to upgrade to a 4x4 2500, but I need some more info. What do I need to know about the current generation 6.7 Cummins? Ive heard some horror stories about the emissions equipment blowing out and costing tens of thousands of dollars to repair, involving removal of the entire drivetrain. Any truth to that? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That sounds like most horror stories... Based on some fact but mostly BS. The newer 6.7s are quite reliable. What do you plan to do with it? Are you looking at a new or used one?

I have a 2012 and love it. It is the last year model before Ram introduced the Urea SCR system. There is plenty of aftermarket support and more coming for the '13+ trucks everyday.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm not sure I've ever heard the drivetrain needing removed.

The system can be pretty expensive to replace outside of warranty.

There isn't much I the way of tuning for the brand new Cummins.

I think the new 6.4 Hemi is an honest contender to the 6.7 now

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm not sure I've ever heard the drivetrain needing removed.

The system can be pretty expensive to replace outside of warranty.

There isn't much I the way of tuning for the brand new Cummins.

I think the new 6.4 Hemi is an honest contender to the 6.7 now

I agree. If they ever start testing for emissions around here I would seriously consider trading for a 6.4 Hemi.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm a old guy who has managed to avoid diesels until recently and bought a old 12v and now wonder why I distrusted them so much for so long. Diesels are great fun and real mules when put to work. I would recommend finding a nice older model at a reasonable price and work with it some and decide whether it is the way you want to go or not. Personally I wish I'd bought one long ago. Good luck.. OBTW, "reasonable" to a gasser guy is about twice what you think it is worth ... lol

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
The older 6.7's such as the 07.5 to early 08 models had some seroius issues from clogged egr valves, clogged dpf's,clogged turbos from soot, software issues, and going into regen way to much! The engineering has improved along with the better miles per gallon with the 6.7's. I really like the look of these newer 4th generation trucks, from the suspension, and pretty much the whole drive train of the truck along with the looks. I just don't like the idea of the emissions on these diesels, to me a diesel should be able to breathe and do it's thing, after the warranty is gone the emission parts are expensive to repair and replace. But of course not knocking anyone who owns one, just giving my opion. If your looking to do some modifications I would look into 03 to 07 5.9 Cummins.

dwysywd

Reaction score
Ram Year
1983 D350 CCSB
Engine
360ci
Sounds like your horror stories are actually ford stories...these were all issues that plagued the post 7.3L fords.

The 6.7 Cummins is the same block as the 5.9 Cummins with additional cu in components to make up for the emissions. While the Urea filter has had some growing pains, it's limited to most 2007.5-2009 Rams. Even those don't have the horror stories that ford dealt with.

Sounds like you know what you need. Good luck with your purchase. Cummins engines are extremely reliable and fun!

I agree with cummins powered, buy a 2002-2007 if you don't mind buying used. The 5.9L breathe better and there are better mods available too.

Sent from my bag phone...

Last edited:

Voodiloquist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a Ford 7.3 for 12 years and had no problems. Recently obtained a '14 3500 with the 6.7 -- so far so good (14K miles), much quieter, very smooth and significant fuel mileage improvement. Admittedly, I do not require the performance a diesel offers but once you take the plunge you really enjoy them.