Cooling system. 29 quarts? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chickenman_26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Ready with 4 gallons of G05 and plenty of distilled water, I first drained the system with the heater valve open. Like everyone else, I got out about 4 gallons or a bit less. Filled with distilled, drove the truck till it reached full temp with heater on HI, let it cool, drain. Did this 4 times, and the last 2 drains came out clear.

So now I installed straight G05 (3.6 gal) and filled with distilled - didn't take much. Figured the rest was straight water trapped in the block. Filled the overflow bottle with distilled and drove the truck normally for 2 weeks, refilling the overflow as necessary.

Now, just for giggles, I got out the refractometer to see how close to spot-on I got the mixture. It was off the scale high :Whoa: - too much anti-freeze, not enough water. I then broke out the old standby SnapOn coolant tester w/ floating pointer as a check on the fancy schmancy refracto. Same result. How can this be? As hot as I got that truck, and as many times as I flushed it, I fail to see how 3.7 gallons of AF gives me something like -85 Deg. "protection". So I drained out 2 gallons (saved it) and installed 1 gallon of distilled plus a half gallon of the mix I'd just drained - it wouldn't take any more. We'll drive it for a while and re-check the protection level.

I'm not necessarily saying I doubt published specs. But unless I bought some sort of super concentrated G05 (it was Zerex) that should have been mixed 1/3 to 2/3 with water, I'd like to see if someone can explain this experience.

Stu O

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Should be around 50/50 I have always used premix or mixed before putting in not sure if it truly is 29 quarts you should be about right unless it has yet to mix together.

$miley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye