Cummins break in and synthetic/petrolium oil questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Waiting for my new 2014 Ram CTD to show up at the dealership, and just read a thread about which oil people run in their Cummins. Which got me thinking about break in periods for a new Diesel engine. Is there a break in period where you shouldn't tow anything heavy or run for long periods of time at a constant speed like in the older engines? and what about synthetic oils it used to be recommended not to swap over till you had 20000 miles on your motor to allow for proper break in? or does the CTD come with synthetic from the factory? Oils weights, what weight should be used based on ambient temperature and the area you live in? anyone have any information about these questions? as the answers roll in I'm sure more questions will follow. Thank you for any help.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is my first diesel and when I picked it up the manual states to load the engine for first 6000 miles it helps the engine to seal. I asked several who had a lot experience with the CTD, they said the same load her down as often as you can these bad boys are made to be worked. I loaded my the first weekend with my second car and lulled it srou d the state for 600 miles with only 700 miles on it. It was great. I plan on loading mine down as often as I can.
As for the synthetic the manual tells you u deer cold temperatures to use it, others can weigh in on that. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun.

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I run the synthetic blend rotella all year long now. Best for me with both winter and summer climates and easier on the wallet!

And don't be afraid to roll into that throttle gotta let this beast get warm.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I run rotella t 15w40 all year round
6.7s are run in a dyno cell before leaving the engine plant so there really isn't much of a engine break in but your trans and rear end do

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I run rotella t 15w40 all year round
6.7s are run in a dyno cell before leaving the engine plant so there really isn't much of a engine break in but your trans and rear end do

so if the trans and rear end need breaking in what is done to accomplish this, but still allow for the heavy loading required by the motor to help seal the CTD? I just want to ensure I do whats best for the CTD as I beleive the first 10000 miles are the most important milage you'll put on your vehicle.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The owners manual is the best thing to consult IMO
I don't think a lot of people spend enough time reading it and you will get a lot I mixed answers
I'm sure your very anxious to get your new truck, I know I would be

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
The owners manual is the best thing to consult IMO
I don't think a lot of people spend enough time reading it and you will get a lot I mixed answers
I'm sure your very anxious to get your new truck, I know I would be

I am, can't wait till its here, received an Email last week telling me a VIN has been asigned to my truck:favorites37: Step one down. Little victories are important I guess. I will of course consult the owners manual, but wanted to see if anyone had ideas of their own. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The only break in I did with mine was drive it. within 2 weeks of purchase we pulled our camper to Chesapeake, VA - 475 miles round trip. 3 weeks later pulled the camper to Myrtle BEach, SC - 380 miles round trip. This truck loves to pull. I love this truck!!!

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
The only break in I did with mine was drive it. within 2 weeks of purchase we pulled our camper to Chesapeake, VA - 475 miles round trip. 3 weeks later pulled the camper to Myrtle BEach, SC - 380 miles round trip. This truck loves to pull. I love this truck!!!

Glad to hear it, not sure how much pulling I'm going to be doing in the near future as I am currently between trailers, but we wanted a new truck and trailer, so we sold old truck, sold old trailer, bought new truck,:party36: but will have to wait awhile before we can afford the new fifth wheel to go with the truck.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just know that it will be ready when you are. :waytogo:

tap tap tappa-roo

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I read the owner manuals a lot while sitting waiting for planes or traveling, my wife tells me I must be only one who reads those things. When it comes to pulling I load up my other car on a dolly and tow it around-i call it exercising my truck. Like other said you will have fun and enjoy it and when the time co es to pull something it will be ready!