Cummins Gods, I need you in here ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found a truck on CL that I want to go look at. 2004 QCSB sport truck. All the ad said was it had a Cummins. Sent him a text asking about mileage. The truck itself has 230k, he said he just replaced the motor with an HO model with 107k, and a tranny with 125k. Not sure if the tranny has been built up, he hasn't responded yet. So what do I need to be concerned about? I've asked him why he replaced it and I'm still waiting for an answer. Obviously if he flogged on it and didn't take care of it that concerns me. Can't tell a whole helluva lot from the pictures. It looks clean, but you know how that goes. He's asking 13,500 OBO.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just find out why he did the swap. Get ALL documents on the swap so you know it's legit.

Check the rest of the truck...crawl under and look at motor and tranny mounts to make sure everything matches up and it wasn't half assed.

When you drive it...listen to how the engine sounds. Make sure it sounds normal

OP
OP
HKkid

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Braydon, wil you pm me your phone number so I can call you if I have any other questions...still waiting for him to call me back...

OP
OP
HKkid

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just got off the phone with him, started seeing all the dents in the picture. Said the windshield has a crack in it going all the way across. He's a weekend mechanic and has been doing all the "work" himself. He bought it from a guy after it threw the #6 rod. So he replaced it with the HO motor, and a "built" transmission, but he doesn't know what they had done to it. The a/c doesn't work, etc. Why can't things ever pan out...Trying to decide now if its still worth driving 1.5 hours to go look at it.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not worth the drive at 13,500 considering all you have to go on is his word about the engine and trans replacement

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Send me a pm so I can reply to it...my phone wont let me send a new pm lol

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Yea... I'd pass on that one bud. That sounds pretty high for a dented, beat up truck w/o the original engine that you really do not know the history of it. Especially with the fact that you said "weekend mechanic."

If you do go look at it, just be really careful and really be picky. Like Braydon said, make sure the swap was done correctly and not half assed. Look for CELs and anything else that just doesn't belong. Check for any blow-by. See if the turbo has any play.

I would also be cautious about that transmission if he doesn't know what has been done to it. Ask if he can get a hold of whoever built it and see what has been done.

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience with 3rd Gen rams is with that kind of mileage and the history of a blown motor, walk away... Even if the new HO motor and "built" trans are perfect, the rest of the truck is going to be a headache. My 07' 3500 driven under normal conditions was falling apart with U-joints and all the steering components dead before 60k miles.
I have a buddy that has a 99' 3500 sport (red), with 125k, built trans ($5k), new tires, new front end, 8' western plow setup. He is asking $12K .... he used to tow his boat and plow his driveway with it, sold the boat and bought a quad with a plow.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
My experience with 3rd Gen rams is with that kind of mileage and the history of a blown motor, walk away... Even if the new HO motor and "built" trans are perfect, the rest of the truck is going to be a headache. My 07' 3500 driven under normal conditions was falling apart with U-joints and all the steering components dead before 60k miles.
I have a buddy that has a 99' 3500 sport (red), with 125k, built trans ($5k), new tires, new front end, 8' western plow setup. He is asking $12K .... he used to tow his boat and plow his driveway with it, sold the boat and bought a quad with a plow.

That's very right, I have had to do a lot of similar wear and tear things you wouldn't necessarily think would be needed this soon. That truck is getting up there for sure. I love my truck, but it does seem that I have to drop a lot of money into it already to keep her on the road.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Wow that a high price IMO , and no paperwork ... I walk

OP
OP
HKkid

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, decided I'd spend the day with the dogs...I want something with a straight body...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My buddy bought his 03 3500 with 215k miles on it for a little over $8k a few years ago
Just be patient and you'll find the right one
It sucks to get excited about one and have it fall through