Cummins life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barkern143

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Mag
Ok i know this has probably been listed a million times but i have to know, i am a gasser as of now but am really in the market for a Cummins, what is the average life span on miles? like should i steer away from a CPD with around 200k? or is that just getting broken in?
Thanks for all the advice.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well maintained, they can last your lifetime. Some guys will mention million mile Cummins engine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
i cant wait to get a cummins, they will last forever if you properly maintain them.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The engine will last you 500k+
But it is still a dodge truck on the outside and will need much more maintenance as you reach those higher mileage

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree with Cody on this the engine will last indefinitely but wear and tear will cause the rest of the rig to die in time it just happens. You can get over 300k on a gas engine these days but they also will be limited by the body around it.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If maintained the engine will outlast the truck. If the price is right and you have records for the truck 200K is not bad. I see posts of people looking at 6.7's with 300K + miles.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do a suspension refresher on em, you should be good with a 200k truck.
Just don't expect a new truck, because you certainly won't be getting one!

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well maintained, they can last your lifetime. Some guys will mention million mile Cummins engine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There's a Cummins that lasted a million miles!

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
i love mine ctd baby hope its the last truck i had to buy ...an feels good to have it payed off

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Just be sure you are ready to deal with a diesel. I thought I was until I got a lot of good advice here from people. I am going to have to stay away from diesel, as much as I want it. It just does not make any sense for me to go diesel. Read some of my questions and answers. Just to be absolutely certain you want to go diesel. :fishing1:

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deal with a diesel? Fill it up change oil and fuel filters use good quality filters and you are set. Pretty simple really until you start modifying them. High mileagestarts around 300,000 on a poorly maintained older truck and 200,000 on a newer one. And I'm talking about 20k oil changes not you guy who goes over 6 k once or twice. Well maintained and good filters will last 500,000 to 800,000 easy and a million isms achiveable

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
Ok i know this has probably been listed a million times but i have to know, i am a gasser as of now but am really in the market for a Cummins, what is the average life span on miles? like should i steer away from a CPD with around 200k? or is that just getting broken in?
Thanks for all the advice.

If you look at any cummins, and the owner says "its just getting broke in" or "its not even broke in" yet...

Walk away while calling him an idiot.

That has to be my biggest gripe with MOST cummins owners, is that one ******** line...While the cummins will go a million miles or more if properly taken care of, You have to remind your self, you arent going to be riding JUST a cummins engine, theres a dodge truck under it...

Any fool who is selling a truck with 100/200/300k miles on it, and says its barely broke in, needs to be slapped very hard, right across the face. I dont give a damn what ANYONE says, you start getting up near 200k miles, and its ALOT, you had better be prepared, and have money saved for upkeep and repairs.

I love my cummins, it does everything a gas truck will do, but better, and with better fuel mileage. Only real complaint is the engine is loud, which makes daily routines kinda annoying(drive throughs, talking with truck running and standing outside etc etc)

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
Deal with a diesel? Fill it up change oil and fuel filters use good quality filters and you are set. Pretty simple really until you start modifying them. High mileagestarts around 300,000 on a poorly maintained older truck and 200,000 on a newer one. And I'm talking about 20k oil changes not you guy who goes over 6 k once or twice. Well maintained and good filters will last 500,000 to 800,000 easy and a million isms achiveable
On my 01 daily driver cummins, Ive gone 17k miles, with just a filter change, then again i regularly send oil in for analysis...and it always comes back great..I run royal purple full syntec, maybe thats a contributing factor, i dunno...

Upkeep on my diesel's have been little to none, like you said, change the oil, keep up with everything, and enjoy lol.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with Cody on this the engine will last indefinitely but wear and tear will cause the rest of the rig to die in time it just happens. You can get over 300k on a gas engine these days but they also will be limited by the body around it.

That was the saying back in the day about the slant 6 and 318 engines... they'd last 2 or 3 bodies. Of course, cars disintegrated even faster back then.

As for the CTD - I hope mine is the last truck I buy.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you look at any cummins, and the owner says "its just getting broke in" or "its not even broke in" yet...

Walk away while calling him an idiot.

That has to be my biggest gripe with MOST cummins owners, is that one ******** line...While the cummins will go a million miles or more if properly taken care of, You have to remind your self, you arent going to be riding JUST a cummins engine, theres a dodge truck under it...

My next favorite is guys claiming 22-24 mpg avg. per tank and sometimes higher

They do great on fuel especially considering the size and weight but that a stretch, highway miles maybe but not an average

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
My next favorite is guys claiming 22-24 mpg avg. per tank and sometimes higher

They do great on fuel especially considering the size and weight but that a stretch, highway miles maybe but not an average
Honestly, in my 01 daily, thats stock height and tires, if i keep the speeds around or under 65, my commute to work is 60 miles one way, mainly highway, i averaged 23..It does surprisingly well, MY fuel mileage went up when i bumped up the lift pump pressure to 19 at idle, and started adding a quart of 2stroke with every fill up.

I usually end up running it until the low fuel light comes on, which leaves 7 gallons in the tank, i can regularly get 650 per tank, when i turn it up, or go 70+ i usually get around 500/550 a tank...fuel mileage drops like a rock the faster i go..

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 01 daily driver cummins, Ive gone 17k miles, with just a filter change, then again i regularly send oil in for analysis...and it always comes back great..I run royal purple full syntec, maybe thats a contributing factor, i dunno...

Upkeep on my diesel's have been little to none, like you said, change the oil, keep up with everything, and enjoy lol.

I was refering to the nonsynthetic oils, but oil analysis allows you to know for sure the condition of the oil. On dino oils I like 7-10k intervals for no good reason on my own cars/truck. But recamend shorter changes for other people due to seeing weird things happen :lol: oil now spanks the oil from the past.