Cummins problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Recently trucks been acting up it all started when I was driving down the highway and the "wait to start indicator" came on then it shut off 80 miles later so I checked the codes by cycling the key and the two codes that came up were P0237 & P0069 (I installed a map sensor less than 4k miles ago) so I kept driving it and it started smoking white when I accelerated so I Came home cleaned the map sensor and air filter and the white smoke stopped let it sit for a few days then I took it for a ride everything's good then I shut it off for about 30 mins then I start it and start driving and when I go to give it gas it doesn't accelerate after about 2 miles of it acting up it went back to normal.. Few days later I start it and a puff of white smoke comes out the exhaust at start up and it was ticking and the check engine lights on. Here's 2 videos of the truck idling .. Listen closely and You can hear the ticking. Pretty sure it's coming from the drivers side.
Video 1- http://youtu.be/OXQbY2ettGU
Video2- http://youtu.be/fg5AKCe3hP8
Let me know what y'all think would rather diagnose it myself before spending thousands at the stealership.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
do you have a chip or boost fooler on the truck? first step would be to disconnect those and see where you at. next, check the basics like any boost leaks, battery connections, wiring for the map sensor, check your iat sensor. also, smell your oil. does it smell like diesel?

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Recently trucks been acting up it all started when I was driving down the highway and the "wait to start indicator" came on then it shut off 80 miles later so I checked the codes by cycling the key and the two codes that came up were P0237 & P0069 (I installed a map sensor less than 4k miles ago) so I kept driving it and it started smoking white when I accelerated so I Came home cleaned the map sensor and air filter and the white smoke stopped let it sit for a few days then I took it for a ride everything's good then I shut it off for about 30 mins then I start it and start driving and when I go to give it gas it doesn't accelerate after about 2 miles of it acting up it went back to normal.. Few days later I start it and a puff of white smoke comes out the exhaust at start up and it was ticking and the check engine lights on. Here's 2 videos of the truck idling .. Listen closely and You can hear the ticking. Pretty sure it's coming from the drivers side.
Video 1-http://youtu.be/OXQbY2ettGU
Video2-http://youtu.be/fg5AKCe3hP8
Let me know what y'all think would rather diagnose it myself before spending thousands at the stealership.

It's a 5.9 CR, I could tell by the Banks Monster Intake manifold. It could be several things, The map sensor on the manifold might need to be replaced. You mentioned you obtained one months back, you could have a bad part? The map sensor that connects to to the plug in harness could be dirty, might need to be cleaned, make sure there is a full connection. You can also try to clean the sensor again, I use Brake clean(non chlorinated), does a good job at cleaning, removing carbon soot build up, and it dries fast. Check for the wireing to make sure everything is in good shape and intact. Check the battery cables very good, with those codes it's one or the other.

OP
OP
M

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
do you have a chip or boost fooler on the truck? first step would be to disconnect those and see where you at. next, check the basics like any boost leaks, battery connections, wiring for the map sensor, check your iat sensor. also, smell your oil. does it smell like diesel?

No chip or boost fooler. No boost or bad battery connections. I think I found my problem, When I put my finger on the first injector line hose I can feel it like ticking/clicking. None of the other ones do that only injector one. What could cause the tick? Bad injector or loose line?? This is my first diesel so bear with me lol

OP
OP
M

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
It's a 5.9 CR, I could tell by the Banks Monster Intake manifold. It could be several things, The map sensor on the manifold might need to be replaced. You mentioned you obtained one months back, you could have a bad part? The map sensor that connects to to the plug in harness could be dirty, might need to be cleaned, make sure there is a full connection. You can also try to clean the sensor again, I use Brake clean(non chlorinated), does a good job at cleaning, removing carbon soot build up, and it dries fast. Check for the wireing to make sure everything is in good shape and intact. Check the battery cables very good, with those codes it's one or the other.

I found the problem injector 1 line ticks/clicks. I'm ordering a new map sensor as we speak this is the 3rd map sensor That's going into this truck..

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
The ticking sound is an injector sticking, that is a different issue with the 2 codes popping up. I would try some Diesel Kleen(silver grey bottle), I've been using this stuff since I bought my truck new from dealer, I use it at every fill up. It lubricates the fuel systems, cleans dirty injectors, boost cetane, prevents injectors from sticking, dry starts, and helps if you get a hold of some bad fuel. Get the small one that's good for 40 gallons, pour the whole bottle in, and that should help the injector sticking problem. For the manifold pressure sensor you mentioned you have replaced 2 already, if that's the case there is an issue somewhere? Hopefully not a ECM issue, I would clean very well the connections that the sensor plugs into. Kind of hard to really determine the issue when your not there in person. Let us know how the situation turns out, will be glad to help and determine the problem.

OP
OP
M

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
The ticking sound is an injector sticking, that is a different issue with the 2 codes popping up. I would try some Diesel Kleen(silver grey bottle), I've been using this stuff since I bought my truck new from dealer, I use it at every fill up. It lubricates the fuel systems, cleans dirty injectors, boost cetane, prevents injectors from sticking, dry starts, and helps if you get a hold of some bad fuel. Get the small one that's good for 40 gallons, pour the whole bottle in, and that should help the injector sticking problem. For the manifold pressure sensor you mentioned you have replaced 2 already, if that's the case there is an issue somewhere? Hopefully not a ECM issue, I would clean very well the connections that the sensor plugs into. Kind of hard to really determine the issue when your not there in person. Let us know how the situation turns out, will be glad to help and determine the problem.

Yea I bought the biggest bottle and been using it for a few weeks. Do you know why sometimes the turbo doesn't pull? It'll spool up hard to explain. Think it's the map sensor that's causing it?