Cummins TurboDiesel: Is it true you either use it or you lose it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to get some more information on the CTD before I make a decision.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
28 miles a day is not going to hurt a cummins

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Diesels are very reliable and and typically last for 500K miles

The new diesels can be picky. Additives are a tough call because some will cause problems with the emmisions system.
With that commute I would guess you would see a fuel economy around 14-15 mpgs (at $4.11 a gallon as the national average)
The emmisions systems works with heat. When the truck isnt "worked hard enough" it doesnt create enough heat to burn the particulate from the DPF filter.
In this case it uses diesel fuel as a catalyst to raise the temps high enough to burn out the filters.

CTDs will be fitted with DEF systems very soon. Theoretically there shouldnt be any problems with the downside of having to add DEF fluid. There shouldnt be any huge problems with this system as its been in the C&C trucks for a few years now.

With the life span of the motor comes the cost of maintenance. They arent cheap.

If you want a Cummins just to have a Cummins I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. If you want a Cummins because you want to save money on fuel mileage, its not going to happen.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I have two diesels, honestly from your other posts you are in the market for a gas truck, i would buy a gas truck. A power wagon is a very cool off road themed truck, if you are not doing a lot i mean a lot of hauling/towing a new diesel is not really going to save you any money on fuel or be in your best interests if you just want something simple that will just work.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I have two diesels, honestly from your other posts you are in the market for a gas truck, i would buy a gas truck. A power wagon is a very cool off road themed truck, if you are not doing a lot i mean a lot of hauling/towing a new diesel is not really going to save you any money on fuel or be in your best interests if you just want something simple that will just work.

Thanks guys for being so patient with me. I just don't want to make the wrong choice. I am 99% sure on the Power Wagon. Just wanted to make absolutely sure with this one last question that I just asked. I think you have helped me make the right choice. Thanks again. I am going to chill out with the questions for a while.......you guys have been very helpful.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What? We're like a CTD?!?

7062-crazies.jpg

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah - I like the CTD but if a turn-key truck that can be maintenanced like a car is a better fit - I would defniitely recommend avoiding the CTD - it's an awesome animal, but does require a little extra attention.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
my only thought with such a short commute is the truck is going to have a lot of regen cycles. I don't know for sure on these trucks, but i heard replacing the dpf filter is expensive.

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
all this BS, is why the newer ctd's can SUCK IT!

My TRUSTY ole 24v's dont need nothin but an oil change every 10k, a fuel filter at the same time, and a bottle of 2stroke with every fillup...

tractordoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I use my ram 3500 as a daily driver and personally I love it. It's a wonderfully comfortable truck and has tons of power whenever it's needed. Personally I really like the diesel.

WillisRanches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
my only thought with such a short commute is the truck is going to have a lot of regen cycles. I don't know for sure on these trucks, but i heard replacing the dpf filter is expensive.

That would be my only concern also. I have heard that once it is cycling you have to keep it running until it is done. If you don't wait then you can screw things up. But if you do the DPF delete and put a tuner you don't have to worry about it.

We have had 3 diesels now and trust me if they can take the abuse of a ranch will last with someone who is taking good care of them.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm sorta in the same position as you. I only went with the diesel after my dealer told me they were ok with me deleting the truck. If they had not been, I would have went with a Hemi.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I'm sorta in the same position as you. I only went with the diesel after my dealer told me they were ok with me deleting the truck. If they had not been, I would have went with a Hemi.

Forgive me but what does "deleting the truck" mean? What exactly would I have to delete?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
The thing is if you want good longevity from you truck you need to hit operational temperatures (190-200*F) each trip.

The newer truck are more touchy about this because of the emission junk.

20 miles one way is more than enough time.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
The thing is if you want good longevity from you truck you need to hit operational temperatures (190-200*F) each trip.

The newer truck are more touchy about this because of the emission junk.

20 miles one way is more than enough time.

Yeah, I think I will have to go gas. I only travel like 14 miles one way. I don't think that will be enough.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I think I will have to go gas. I only travel like 14 miles one way. I don't think that will be enough.

14 miles is enough to get it warmed up. I commute 5 miles and my truck makes it there.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My drive is 10 miles and my truck's up to temp when I arrive at work.