Cummins TurboDiesel: Is it true you either use it or you lose it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Like I work for the local fire dept and if the tones to go off I've only got 3/4 of a mile to the fire shed. So what I do is return back from the firecall and hop in the truck and drive a extra 5 miles away from the house to turn around and return back and get full temp and batteries charged up.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm about 400 yds from the station here - hardly seams worth starting the truck sometimes and added about 10 seconds onto my response time waiting for the WAIT TO START light.

When it sounds like we actually have "SOMETHING" - I drive the Challenger.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I'm about 400 yds from the station here - hardly seams worth starting the truck sometimes and added about 10 seconds onto my response time waiting for the WAIT TO START light.

When it sounds like we actually have "SOMETHING" - I drive the Challenger.

If the outside temp is above 32*F I don't even wait I nail and go. Grid heater are not needed for every start. Even a cold start I just hit the starter and go.

I know a 24V will start without grid heaters to as low as 25*F outside. Little stumble miss but it will start.

doggone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 and 2003
Engine
5.9 diesel
I have a 2001 and a 2003 diesel... If you do a lot of towing and a lot of long distance driving the diesel cannot be beat...If you do mostly local...gas is easier to find..it is cheaper and the new trucks will get just a good mileage if not better than the new diesels..Next are you going to keep the truck for 500k???? Diesels don't break often but when they do they will be expensive...

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the outside temp is above 32*F I don't even wait I nail and go. Grid heater are not needed for every start. Even a cold start I just hit the starter and go.

I know a 24V will start without grid heaters to as low as 25*F outside. Little stumble miss but it will start.

I've noticed this... couple times I thought I was in a gasser and she turned over without any problem.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've noticed this... couple times I thought I was in a gasser and she turned over without any problem.

So far we haven't had temps low enough to really need to wait
It won't hurt anything turning it over while it's cold, just pulls a lot of juice from your batteries

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far we haven't had temps low enough to really need to wait
It won't hurt anything turning it over while it's cold, just pulls a lot of juice from your batteries

Thanks for this information guys. When it comes to diesels, I'm a new guy and am looking to learn anything I can.

guardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
New to the forum and new to cummins diesel. I just bought a 2012 2500 and am only getting 12.5 to a gallon. How do I increase milage. Was told to cut out the cat and was told not too unless I install a bullydog or edge juice. Was also told it will void warrenty. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you want to increase your mileage, youll want to do a DFP and EGR delete which will need a programmer to clear the codes. From what I understand the only companies that offer the deletes are H&S, Smarty, and Superchips. This will significantly help your mileage, but will void your warranty.

If you do this, I suggest a turbo back exhaust :waytogo:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New to the forum and new to cummins diesel. I just bought a 2012 2500 and am only getting 12.5 to a gallon. How do I increase milage. Was told to cut out the cat and was told not too unless I install a bullydog or edge juice. Was also told it will void warrenty. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks
Bullydog and the edge juice will not do what you need if you are deleting the emission bs thats on the newer diesels. Really the only two options I would go with are H&S (Mini Maxx or Black Maxx) because they have built in gauges, or EFI live...but you will want a set of gauges to go with that......Gauges are a must (EBP,Boost, fuel press, egt,etc)

If you want to increase your mileage, youll want to do a DFP and EGR delete which will need a programmer to clear the codes. From what I understand the only companies that offer the deletes are H&S, Smarty, and Superchips. This will significantly help your mileage, but will void your warranty.

If you do this, I suggest a turbo back exhaust :waytogo:
This, pick up a 4" turbo back exhaust which will delete the cat, DPF, and NOX filters. You will also need a tuner to prevent a check engine light and to turn off the regen process. That couled with an EGR delete (or unplug) will net you a few mpg.